Posted 2017-04-21T03:35:00Z

The Beast is big, but God is Bigger

Hi. I wanted update everyone since many knew that Brian had an MRI today. Unfortunately, I cannot bring you good news this month. It saddens me so much to let you know that the crazy monster GBM seems to be growing and no longer in abatement. It happened so fast. It has only been 7 weeks since his last MRI (which showed the tumor getting smaller and the swelling dissipating) and, as you can see from the image on the left, we have some considerable growth now.

So what is next? Well, I for one am continuing my prescription for HOPE. God is not done with Brian right now and it has been my prayer and all of yours that He will not be done with him for a long, long while. I am keeping with this hope and I pray you will, too. We want God's will, of course, but hoping that it entail using Brian here on this earth with us.

His course of treatment is changing a bit. He is no longer going to be doing the chemo Temodar, but switching over to Lomustine (CCNU). It's another oral chemo that may help. He is continuing on his Avastin infusions every three weeks. This is to help keep the swelling down. We are staying the course with the Optune and we are looking into some additional alternative treatments. I am back in research mode and will be looking at our options.

Brian is taking the news in stride. It is the first day with this news, so it has been crazy emotionally, but he is determined to keep fighting. He wants to be here with all of us. His family, his friends, all you amazing people who love him. Keeping spirits high with this kind of news is not always easy, and his speech has gotten worse, so he could use your prayers for strength, hope and healing.

The boys know the news and we would love your prayers for them and their processing of this. Mainly, we pray that they cling to the Lord and find a peace that passes understanding, while realizing the fragility of what they have. Making the most of every moment is what we all should do on a daily basis, right? It's just that when things are going well, or if they are even just ordinary, we sometimes forget to really, really love deeply and cherish each moment. It takes something like this to jolt us back into seeing our blessings and what we have been given. And how infinitely precious it is.

That's about all I can do for now, sweet friends. May God bless you and thank you so much for following our journey, and for your generous, heartfelt prayers and support.

Because of the Lord's great love

we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail.

They are new every morning, great is your faithfulness.

I say to myself, "The Lord is my portion;

therefore I will wait for him."

The Lord is good to those whose hope is in him,

to the one who seeks him;

it is good to wait quietly for the salvation of the Lord."

Lamentations 3:22-26

Donise Smitham

Your husband is such an admirable and special man. I was hoping and praying for better news. Your love for and commitment to Brian is so deep and he is blessed that he has you to help fight this monster. I pray that your research yields an alternative treatment that will provide Brian with better news. Your entire family is loved and prayed for continually by not only Faith and I but so many others.

Peggy McAllister

Lisa, Just this morning a saw a beautiful sunrise through the knolls and I thought of the scripture that says "His mercies are new every morning" and I thought of you. I prayed then, and I'll continue to pray, that each day you will be filled anew with God's presence and mercy as you travel this journey. And I'll never stop praying for a major breakthrough! You, Brian and the boys are SO loved! -Peggy Mc

Cynthia Wood-Kilmer

We are praying daily! Praying for healing. Praying for your continued "hope". Praying for peace admist the pain. Believing in a God much bigger than any can imagine. Hugs!💗 Cynthia

Debbie Kick

I'm so sorry that the tumor has shown growth. Terrible news, and we are grateful you updated us. Please let us know if we can help you in any way. We pray several times a day for all four of you and do believe with you that God can heal Brian. In the meantime I'm glad you can enjoy your family time. We love you.

Sylvia Weber

“Whom have I in heaven but you? And there is nothing on earth that I desire besides you. My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.” ‭‭Psalms‬ ‭73:25-26 With God as our portion and strength...cancer, you have no business here, move along. I will continue to pray for healing. God loves you with amounts we could never fathom! He knows and is with you. Sending love & hugs

Monica Anderson

Praying for ALL of you! You have more strength than anyone I know! Please let me know if I can help any of you in any way. ❤️

Ward Campbell

In stride with all of you

Desiree Ganzon

Praying that God will place his loving hands on Brian to heal him and God wraps his loving arms around each of you giving you comfort and strength through this challenging time in your lives. Bless each one of you. God is great and he is listening to our prayers. Remain faithful. ❤️

Catherine Nieto

All of a sudden today's bad day is insignificant and I am refocused on how precious this life is and how lucky we are to have had such wonderful gifts. Thank you Lisa for always moving my focus upward! I will pray mightily for you, Brian, and your beautiful boys.

Maureen McKennan

Sending prayers, love and hugs to you and Brian.

Lisa Derthick

This news brought tears to my eyes and a heaviness in my heart. I will keep praying for all of you, and will embrace your message of hope.

Wanda Hill Rouzan

Holding you all in my thoughts.

Mika Sierra

God Bless you Lisa. The fight is not over and we stand shouting praises to our Almighty God for healing over Brian! You are light in a dim place and your faithfulness brings God glory! I speak words of life into you, Brian and your two sons. I pray for physical, spiritual and emotional healing. Here are some scriptures I wanted to share with you. Be bold sweetheart! For with God NOTHING shall be impossible. Luke 1:37. Is anyone among you sick? Let them call the elders of the church to pray over them and anoint them with oil in the name of the Lord. James 5:15 So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. Isaiah 41:10 And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus. Phillippians 4:19 THIS IS ESPECIALLY FOR BRIAN My son, pay attention to what I say; turn your ear to my words. DO NOT let them out of your sight, keep them within your heart; for they are life to those who find them and health to one's body. Proverbs 4:20-22

Jeffrey Steele

Thank you for your message of hope. I wish all of you all the best, and will continue to look forward to Brian's return to good health.

Mellissa DePaola

I'm so sorry to hear this. I pray for Brian and your whole family most nights to feel strength to endure, and to feel comfort that only God can give. I will continue to pray for all of you. Keep the faith, I know God is aware of your daily plea. Mellissa DePaola

Shirley Bunnell

Thank you sweet Lisa. My heart is heavy but keeping Brian in my prayers for healing and strength. “I am convinced and confident of this very thing, that He who has begun a good work in you will [continue to] perfect and complete it until the day of Christ Jesus [the time of His return].” PHILIPPIANS‬ ‭1:6‬ ‭AMP Love you, Shirls

Diana Prince

Oh Lisa & Brian my heart is heavy too. Sorry you are going through this and that the news was not what you wanted to hear. Just know we are praying with you and for you. Miss seeing you😘💋❤️

Carolyn Allen

Praying for you Ms. Lisa and the boys. Special prayers are going up for my dear friend Mr. Smiley! His name is ringing out on our prayer line M-F 6am, with the scripture "He was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruise for our iniquities, the chastisement of our peace was upon him and with his stripes we were healed". Way back on Calvary. We believe God with you for Brian's healing and wholeness." One day he/we will look back on this test with a GREAT testimony unto our God in Jesus name. Amen.

Jeff Spellman

We are so sorry to here the news. I wish there was more we could do. We love you guys and will keep praying.

Krista Roark

Jer and I are praying for you all and our hearts are very much with you!

Lynne (camera)Hamilton

Praying for you and your family Gods got this

Robynne Rose

This disease is similar to the game "Wack a Mole". The hope of the game is for disease management and quality of life. Since I am five year player of this game, I know that those low moments (bad scans) bring anxiety and treatment confusion. Your research is imperative. The game is always changing. Luckily, it is changing for the better: More research, more options, more hope for survival. We are fortunate to live in a state with great hospitals, doctors and cutting edge treatments. Brian: Keep climbing the mountain...your feet will slip, you will loose some ground, but momentum upward is paramount. You are not alone: I am out there climbing with you!

Iris Hurwitz

There is not a day that goes by that Brian and your family are not in our thoughts. We continue to be hopeful for a successful outcome. Love you all!

Teresa Zucchet

Sending much love to you and your family Lisa and praying for all of you on a daily basis. xoxo, Teresa

Kristi LaBonte Roggensack

I appreciate you taking the time to keep us all updated on this journey. I will continue to lift you, Brian and the boys before God. May he continue to provide you strength, comfort and wisdom.

Cathy Chatman

Hoping with you, worrying with you, praying with you.

Janis McLean

Our thoughts are with your sweet family. John and Janis McLean

Stephanie Mitchell

You are all in my thoughts and in my heart.

Brett and Kim

Praying with you in faith, hope and love.

Mark A. Johnson

My heart and prayers go out to and your family every day. You have been aa dear friend for years, and I have always known you to be a fighter and a winner. Keep fighting, my friend. And God is with you.

Sarah Jacobs

We have increased our prayers and will be fasting for Brian this Sunday (the kids will go without sugar :)). Please know that you and your family are in our daily prayers. “I recognize that, on occasion, some of our most fervent prayers may seem to go unanswered. We wonder, ‘Why?’ I know that feeling! I know the fears and tears of such moments. But I also know that our prayers are never ignored. Our faith is never unappreciated. I know that an all-wise Heavenly Father’s perspective is much broader than is ours. While we know of our mortal problems and pain, He knows of our immortal progress and potential. If we pray to know His will and submit ourselves to it with patience and courage, heavenly healing can take place in His own way and time.” —Russell M. Nelson, "Jesus Christ—the Master Healer," Ensign, Nov. 2005, 86

Carlos Casillas

Lisa, Brian and Smiley Boys... It is only faith that releases God's healing powers... It is your faith that will heal you Smiley... Every word in this Journal Blog Update is immersed in Faith... You are in my daily morning prayers and I will double my efforts... Blessings of good health and healing...

Louis M. Vasquez

Praying for you all. Healing and peace be with you.

Jeffrey Firestone

Thinking of you often Brian. Sending thoughts and prayers to you and your family. God bless. :)