Posted 2019-02-07T18:08:40Z

Keep on keepin' on

Today marks 3 weeks since my surgery and I'm happy to report that I'm doing really well. It was rough at first and I was in ER twice for stomach issues and low blood pressure but I'm feeling much better now! Everyday I feel a little less pain and have more mobility in my chest and arms and on Friday I start physical therapy so that should help move things along.

A week before surgery we had to say goodbye to our sweet dog, Neko. It happened pretty suddenly and it crushed us both pretty hard. There's never a good time to lose a pet but the timing of her passing felt especially rough. It's been sad for me to be home and recovering without my best bud, but our cat, Liza Minnelli, has been doing her best to keep me company and give us both a good laugh with her shenanigans. We got Neko's ashes back this week and are going to spread some of them at two of her favorite places, Bernal Heights Park and Ocean Beach. And yes, we are already talking about getting another pup. I think it will be really good for us both to have some new dog energy in our lives.

So what's next for me treatment wise? Hormone therapy and radiation, good times. I don't know the full extent of what each of those will entail just yet. During my surgery they did find cancer in one lymph node which was removed along with all the other cancer but they want to make sure that any possible remaining microscopic traces of cancer are eliminated and radiation is what my team of doctors is recommending. I'm meeting with a radiation oncologist next week and will learn more about the radiation treatment plan. As for hormone therapy, I have to do it because my cancer fed off of estrogen so I need to stop producing it. I was started on a once a month shot called Zoladex which lowers the amount of estrogen produced and blocks the action of estrogen in the body. Basically, I'm starting Menopause ya'll. There is likely going to be more to the hormone therapy but this is what I was started on.

Before I sign off I must send out my sincerest thanks to all of you for your support. People have brought us food, sent care packages, came over for visits, sent cards and donations - it's been incredible. We truly feel loved and can't thank you all enough for helping us get through this.

Seth Peterson

Hugs and love to you. Hope you have a speedy recovery so we can get "Alien Cause" started.

10 months ago · Reply
    Mandy Booth

I’m so sorry to hear about your beloved Neko. I’m glad your surgery went well and wishing you the best in these hard times. Hugs

10 months ago · Reply
    Mike

Susan, I think about you often. I wish I was there sometimes so I could help out some. We made it back to Atlanta and I'll be here for a few months. It's going to be home again for a while and hopefully I'll get to travel some more after I get myself straightened out too. So sorry to hear about your loss. I can feel the pain because I just lost Lucy on Tuesday. The feeling of sadness and being lonely bounce back and forth. She was 13 and that is about average for a Boston Terrier but it still don't stop the pain of loss. I just try to remember our journies together and that she is not in pain. It'll be a while for me. Need to take a break because my heart is not ready. I hope all the new treatments are fully successful and that you'll be up and running before too much longer. It's a battle but you are a warrior. Sending lots of love! Mike ❤️🤗❤️

10 months ago · Reply
    Tracy Lee

This is no small feat! You are A M A Z I N G. Thinking about you LOTS and hoping you are smiling every day. LOVE YOU SUSANNNNN!!!

10 months ago · Reply
    steve snyder

Sending tons of love and healing to you Susan. <3

10 months ago · Reply
    Christine Demorest

Hey, pequeño boogah! My heart is broken that you lost your baby Neko. I'm glad you are thinking about getting some new pooch to live and help you get through the therapeutic medical procedures and the healing process. CRITTER LOVE HEALS ALLLL! I wish we could go sit in a park and relax in the shaded sun and just "be" together. I've missed so much of your life since school and have been cheering you on from afar now that... FB and all. I know it's crappy having to go through something so serious and feeling like the world keeps turning, but know that it's turning while I'm sending big squishy love from back home. I'd hug you if I could, but since I can't yet, go get a hug from wifeybabe and tell yourself it's from me. Love you, kiddo. "Tuna" ❤️🤗

10 months ago · Reply
    TOBY DIXON

Love you girls so very much!

10 months ago · Reply
    Emmanuelle Antolin

I’m so sorry about your dear dog ! I am sending lots of love and healing thoughts. Wish I were around to make you some soup! Next time. Glad to hear about your plans for a new pup!! ❤️

10 months ago · Reply
    Megan Dameron

Sending love to you and Ann Marie. And for the record, I am in full support of the search for a new pup! <3

10 months ago · Reply
    Sean Donovan

So sorry to hear about Neko. I hope the treatment continues to go well and that you have a new pup family member joining you soon!

10 months ago · Reply