Posted 2019-01-09T04:56:00Z

A very difficult day

The plan for today was to take Cindra off the sedation medicines. The expectation was that she would begin working those medicines out of her system and start to wake up by Wednesday morning.  I arrived at the hospital around 1:30 in the afternoon figuring I wanted to be there in case she starting to wake up this afternoon or evening.

When I arrived, the nurse asked me to step into a consultation room and brought the doctor. Typically when a patient is taken off of the medicine she had, there is an increase in brain activity. Unfortunately, this was not the case for Cindra. She had little to no brain activity.

I had my mother-in-law make some calls and get my parents to bring the kids to the hospital directly from school, then pick up Eildert from Kuyper.

Another test later in the afternoon confirm there was a little blood flow to the brain. This is another indication that she is already brain-dead. She likely suffered too much brain damage from lack of oxygen while she was unable to breathe before the paramedics could get an air tube in place.

We spent the rest of the evening in various stages of grief. Each of our kids reacted differently and I needed my whole family there to help console them in their own way.

They plan to run another test early tomorrow morning for confirmation. They have asked us to be at the hospital by 8 o’clock to discuss next steps.

After I finally got home this evening, I decided I better continue my read through the Bible in a year program. Today’s passage ended with Matthew 6:34:

Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

I’m gonna try to take this to heart and get some sleep.

Melody Byl

Oh Derk, I am so sorry!

Nancy Cooper

Derk, I have been praying for you and your family since Sunday when your mom let me know what happened. Words cannot express my grief for you and the children. In times like this, our one "consolation" is that we know Cindra believed in the Lord as her savior and that we will see her again. I am so sorry that you have to go through this . You remain in my prayers and thoughts.

Marcy Comden

No words. I feel your heartache. I am so sorry. I am in shock. Praying for all of you.

Sandy Hayes

We all love working with Cindra at Thoroughbred! Our entire department has been praying for her. I am so sorry to read this last update. Continued prayers for you and the kids.

Tina Baker

Oh Derk, I’m so sorry to hear this. I’ll be praying for comfort and understanding for you and your family. Love you all.

Trudy Stema

I am sorry to hear this Derk. Your family has been in my thoughts and prayers and will continue to be.

Annette Carpenter

Derk, I am so sorry to hear this news. May the lord wrap his arms around your family , hug you and give you comfort knowing he is there for you.

Pat McMurry

Praying for God's healing touch for Cindra. She is in His hands as you and your family are. Blessings to all of you.

Sally komejan

I am so sorry to hear this! I am praying you will feel God’s arms of comfort around you, and He will give you strength as you go through this journey. You are in our thoughts.

Robin You

I just learned this thru a mutual friend. I am so very sorry. Praying for your family.

Mike Woodman

You are in our hearts today. Praying for you and your family.

Dawn Larsen

Prayers for your family during this very difficult time. Hugs.

Jackie Van Dam

Zwart Family, this news is heart breaking!! May God’s words give you strength and peace as decisions are made.

Tina Stevens

Derk, we are so sorry about Cindra. Please let us know if there is anything we can do for you and your family. You are in our thoughts and prayers.

Brenda Clendenon

Derk I’m terribly sorry, my heart aches so much!! I love her, sending prayers to you and the kids, prayers that God gives you the loving comfort that I know Cindra wants you to all have!! Please let me know if I can help in any way with the kids🙏🏻Love you all!!

Marlene Brands

So heartbreaking! We will keep you and your children in our prayers.

Donna Driesenga

as I read this tears are running down my eyes i am so so sorry God bless this family with love and comfort and yes we believe in miracles so very very sorry

Lisa Finnie

Our prayers go out to you and your family. Praying that God gives you the loving comfort you need during this time and what lies ahead.

John C Scott

I am so sorry Derk. Not much in life prepares us for this type of thing. Prayers to you, your lovely wife and family. I loved the Bible passage from 07 Jan. So hard to do. I will continue sending prayers in hopes of a miracle. Thank you for keeping us updated.

Jill TenBrink

Oh Derk! My heart cries out for you and your kids. I am praying for you all that the Lord provides the peace and comfort you each need to walk through the days ahead. All things are possible with God and he is good ALL the time!

Kathy Boerigter

So very sorry, lifting all of you in prayer 🙏.

Rhonda Brower

Praying for you and your family. May God give you strength and peace at this time🙏. Dave and Rhonda Brower

Linda Scherpenisse

Many prayers for your family from the gals at Jackson's Web today. Cindra was loved and a valued member of our group. We will missed her very much. May God grant you peace in your sadness! Prayers for you all.

Amy Babinec

Oh Derk and family, this is truly heartbreaking! You are each in our thoughts in prayers in the days ahead!!

Shelley Teachout

Derk, I was so shocked and saddened to hear what Cindra and your family are going through. Healing thoughts for you all.

Katherine Baas

Derk and kids- we are so very heartbroken to hear of your loss . Cindra was a beautiful person, wife and mom. Our thoughts and prayers are with you all in the coming days. Jeremy and Kathy Baas and kids

Donna Driesenga

we are so sorry for your great loss may you feel Gods loving arms wrapped around you and your family during this time and through the years ahead it ok to let go and break down when ever you need to i lost my father when i was 13 in a tragic accident and it is not easy let people help you as you will need it and may faith church provide the support you need and don't be afraid to get your family into counseling believe me i know what i am talking about the hurt doesn't just go away but God and Gods people will always be there for you

Karen Kulakowski

We are so sorry to hear of your loss. My kids are wishing to be in Holland to give your kids comfort during this difficult time. Sending prayers 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

Kristin Vanderlaan

We are so sorry to hear this. Just love on those kiddos. That is what they need right now. You have our sympathy and know that God is there when you need him! You are all very loved!!

Blaine Newhouse

No words can suffice nor any perspective dampen the sting. Know of our prayers for comfort and God's sustaining presence as together you journey through the valley of the shadow....