It's Been a Year: Update on Mom's Current Condition

A year ago yesterday mom had her colon cancer surgery. What we thought would be a simple surgery to remove the cancer turned out to be a much more complicated situation. They were not able to remove the mass in her colon and found that the cancer had already spread to her lymph nodes and liver. Later a PET scan revealed that the cancer had also spread to her lungs and hipbone as well.

Mom has been a real trooper enduring nine chemotherapy treatments over 7 months. While we got good news in the spring that the chemo seemed to be reducing the cancer, the chemo was taking a huge toll on mom, both physically and mentally. Her mobility has been severely limited and her ability to focus, concentrate or complete simple tasks has also been impaired. She hasn’t been strong enough for another chemo treatment since mid-June.

A CT scan in August revealed that her cancer has actually progressed particularly in her lungs since her last her scan taken in May. Without more chemo treatments mom’s cancer will continue to progress. Mom is comfortably resting at home. She does experience pain in her back from time to time and her appetite has declined dramatically in the last week. She has good days when she is sitting up and eating or walking with her walker. Then there are other days when she does not get out of bed.  We are thankful for hospice services from St. Francis and their help navigating mom’s current health issues. We are also so thankful for all of the love and support from everyone near and far.

Our hope is that mom will regain strength, be able to resume her chemo treatments, and get out of hospice care.   However, we really don’t know if this will happen. We do know that mom is in God’s hands and we are trusting in him and relying on him for guidance.

Please continue to pray for healing, comfort and peace as mom’s continues this journey.

“For I know the plans I have for you, “declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. – Jeremaiah 29:11

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight. – Proverbs 3: 5 – 6.

Pearl D Maeda

Gracie, we are praying. This prayer request has gone out to The Wives in Ministry Prayerline. Know that we care and love you.

Joy turner

Please know that we love you dearly and continue to lft you up.

Beverly Paulhamus

Gracie, continuing to pray for God's perfect will for healing, comfort and peace as you pass through this journey. Many thoughts, prayers and loving you from NH. (hugs)

Sandy Welch

I continue to pray for perfect healing for Grace. Also strength for you and family. Psm 103. He heals ALL our diseases.

Sandra Kaneshiro

Praying for all of you -- Grace, Laura, Steve and family, and Koa. Peace and comfort for you all.

Lynda Fulmer

Praying for Grace and for you, Laura, all the caregivers and friends in Hawaii. Much love to you all.

Kimo villarimo

Laura please know that my thoughts and prayers are with your mom and with you. If you need any assistance please remember that I am on the Board Of Directors for the American Cancer Society here in Hawaii and resourses are just a phone call away that can help during this battle and know you are not alone. Take care and God bless

LaRue Booher

Our loving Grace & Laura, Steve & Koa and all who Grace has touched with her love and kindness, we continue to pray, here. Grace, you are lifted up all over everywhere with great concern, care & love by this giant organization of 'take great care of Grace'. You, yourself, have taken care of so many with your love. We pray for a miracle and for this to be a good day/week for you, Grace & Laura. P.S. I saw Linda True's post the other night, where she told about "starting to church for the 1st time there"...I have been privileged to have her tell me that story soooo many times over the years. I know you know that. :) But, it's always one of my very favorites. In fact, she's told it enough times that I feel like I was 'there as it all happened', myself...which is a very good feeling. I think that was why I felt so at home when we finally got there. :) What a story of such a special time in everyone's lives... I never tire of hearing any of those stories of 'Dub & Grace'. Linda True & Bobby love to share those stories, as they know we are 'all ears' for this subject...we realized quickly, this was something good & 'special'! So, when I read the post, it was late, & I just sat here with a Texas-sized grin in a big puddle of 'He washed my eyes with Tears'....I guess is what you may call it. :) I just love those stories & can see all of you during that time. Such a good place & time...at least, that's how Linda True has it in 'my memory'. :) I just love it! :) In Jesus name, we pray for you, Grace. We Love you & all, who love you, too.

Valerie Bush

Laura, you and your beautiful mother are in my thoughts and prayers. Take care, Valerie

Pauline Guillermo-Togawa

Sending blessings to you, Laura, and to to Grace. She was aptly names - during everything that she has been dealt with such grace and courage. We pray every day for all of you--and for your family and friends who love Grace so much. We are near and yet so far but our thoughts and prayers bring us closer.

Naomi Ashman

My thoughts and prayers are with you, Grace. Laura, I'm lifting you and the rest of the family in prayer as you minister to your mom. Grace, you and Dub encouraged Michael and I so much while he was pastoring. The Wives in Ministry meant a lot to me during those years and are a special group of ladies. You continue to inspire those around with your life. Naomi

Linda Rush

Dear Grace we continue to pray for healing and yet we rest in God's timing. You continue to be an example of strength, courage and selflessness to all of us. Laura, we are so proud of you. We pray for you daily as well. It is not an easy task to be a hands on caregiver we are grateful for Steve and his family. We are grateful for the legion of friends around the world who love you. We ask God to give special blessings to those who minister to you there at home.. We may be far away but our love goes directly from our heart to yours. Bob, Linda and Laura

Mildred Guillermo-Trovao

Dear Laura and Grace: May the Lord and Blessed Mary, bless and keep you both in his arms and draw from them more of the strength and fortitude to keep your faith and wills strong each and every day, as you have been doing during this long and most difficult journey. I pray too, Laura, that your mom will get stronger every day so as not to need hospice soon. Pauline is absolutely right, your mom, Grace, is aptly named and is an exemplary example of walking this journey with so much of it. And you, as well, Laura. Much Aloha, and mahalo for all you do!

Erin Kiyuna Haynes

Thank you Laura for this beautiful way of keeping us informed of how your Mom is doing. I haven't posted anything until now, but you and your Mom have been in my thoughts and prayers, It truly has been a time of grace--I'm grateful for your strength and faithfulness and will keep praying for healing, peace and comfort for you, your Mom, as well as Steve and his family. I am so glad you and Koa have been here for her. Love you!

Janice Takano

Lord, I lift up Grace, Laura, and Steve to You. Wrap your loving arms around them and hold them close. Comfort them and give them Your peace that surpasses all understandings. We ask for healing and strength for Grace. We love her, Lord. We know You love her more. Thank you for the gift of her touching my life. We love You and praise You, Lord, even through the storms. In Christ's Name we pray, Amen.

Laura Efurd

Thank you everyone for your messages, scripture, prayers, and all the memories. Mom is resting comfortably, but is wrestling with fever and some digestive issues. We are thankful that she is not in any pain right now. Continue to pray.

LaRue Booher

Precious Laura, we are.... &, we will, everyone will, sweet one. May God bless your precious Mama, Grace, & your every need...we love you...

Beverly Paulhamus

Know that you all are being thought of and are being lifted in prayer without ceasing. We serve a mighty God and He has promised to never leave nor forsake us. Praying His presence is ever so real to you all. We love you all from so far away, but yet so near in heart. God's blessings to you all!!

Tracy T. Yoshimura

Saying prayers for you and your family during these difficult times. God Bless all of you..!

Linda Rush

Laura, as someone who has done a lot of public speaking, I don't seem to have the words I want to say. I think of Dub's song, The Longer I Serve Him and as Grace goes through this trial she is still serving Him. We are praying for health and continued courage as the battle continues. Love to family and friends...Bob, Linda and Laura

Linda Rush

Vicky Pung/Eric Kim

Get stronger and better! We miss you all, especially all those committees you would make when you were in San Francisco! Our prayers and thoughts are with you!

Jim McCallum

Laura, I love the two bible quotes - I need to do more reading! My sister is adding your mom and you to her prayer circle - She is a 40-year survivor of a seemingly impossible cancer so long ago - I hope your mom can have the same good fortune.

Cynthia Kinoshita

Laura, all of us at Palisades Baptist Church continue to pray for our beloved sister-in-Christ, Grace. A prayer request is listed in our weekly bulletin and we believe God hears all of our prayers. May God continue to bless you and Steve as you care for Mom. Our thoughts and prayers are with you daily. Love in Christ, Cynthia Kinoshita