Share. Connect. Love.

January 10 Update

Yay! Julie was finally able to get her third chemo treatment yesterday. It had been scheduled for Tuesday, but was delayed until Friday to give her body a few more days to recover from the trauma of her hospital stay last week. The nerve damage from her shingles continues to be a significant problem. The hospital released her with only a prescription for morphine to help control the pain. They really have no other treatment for the issue, and there is no way to know how long the pain will continue. We expect the side effects of the chemo to kick in shortly, so she is going to be challenged with dealing with the shingles nerve pain, and the chemo side effects at the same time. It's going to be rough on her for a while, but we'll handle it as best we can. But the good news is she got her treatment. Keep sending the positive thoughts this way...we need them![...]

Uphill Battle

Julie's shingles pain continued to get worse, even after being prescribed pain meds last Tuesday.  This Saturday night, the 6th, her pain reached a point of totally unbearable, and I had to run her into the MDA emergency room before daylight on Sunday morning. They recognized how bad she was, and immediately checked her into the hospital. They put her on multiple meds, including morphine, and they have spent the last several days trying to find the right balance of drugs to provide her some relief. They believe they have finally found the correct combination. We're still at the hospital now, hoping to get out today (but it's getting a bit late in the day). We will leave here with her condition still generating pain, but hopefully with a combination of drugs that will allow us to manage it. Unfortunately, this episode caused her to miss her chemo treatment for this week, but when I checked her blood counts here, they were too low to have gotten her treatment anyway. Her next treatment has been scheduled for Tuesday of next week, but her counts will have to come up by then to allow the treatment. Given her current condition, that's going to be a challenge...[...]

The New Year

Wow!...was I ever wrong about thinking that Julie had turned the corner on her shingles. Since my last post, the pain associated with her condition has gotten worse, and she's been in constant excruciating pain. We've tried everything to give her some relief, including pain meds, but nothing seems to be effective in reducing the pain. The only relief she gets is when the pain meds put her to sleep.[...]

Holiday Update

We hope that everyone had a very enjoyable Christmas. Because of her compromised immune system, Julie recently developed a case of shingles. Shingles are painful under normal conditions, but with her chemo-sensitive skin, she has been in some pretty severe pain. She is still hurting, but there has been a bit of improvement, and we're hoping that she's turned the corner and is on the road to recovery from this issue. If there are no complications, the current plan is for us to return to Houston New Years week for a scan and her next chemo treatment. We are hoping that her white blood cell count will be high enough for her to receive the treatment on Thursday, January 4th.[...]

Another delay...

Julie's chemotherapy treatment scheduled for last week was delayed to today, due to a low white blood cell count. Unfortunately, her blood tests today showed that her count was better, but not yet fully recovered, and her platelet count was also low. She received an injection today to help get her counts up, and her treatment was rescheduled to this Thursday. Hopefully, her counts will be good enough then for her treatment. Always something complicating matters...[...]

Chemo Delayed

Julie had her next chemo treatment scheduled for today, December 5th. Unfortunately, her blood tests showed that her white blood cell count was too low for her body to be able to handle another treatment right now. They are delaying the treatment for a week. That should give her body time to rebuild her blood count...we certainly hope so. We don't like the delay because it will delay the determination if her treatments are being effective, but it's very dangerous to apply chemo with a low count, so there is no choice. We'll have to wait another two or three weeks to get some definitive results. A long wait...[...]

A Short Note

I've had a couple of inquires about Julie, so I'll post a short note on her current progress. She is now on her new chemo regimen, but hasn't been on it long enough yet to determine if it is being effective. We hope to learn that in a week or two. She is having a difficult time with the chemo side effects, but she's doing her best to hang in there like a good soldier. She is scheduled for her next treatment the first of next week.[...]

Clarification

It has been brought to my attention that I may have caused a tad of confusion with my most recent journal entries. On Nov. 15, I posted three back-to-back entries, the last being of the new baby. To see all three entries, you must view previous entries back to the one titled "Bump in the Road". Sorry if that was not clear.[...]