Kenna met with her liver team today and the transplant surgeon. Unfortunately, Kenna’s kidneys are still not making any urine which means she does need a kidney.
Kenna’s liver labs have basically remained the same- not gotten better but not gotten worse. Dr Kulig, her liver doc, wants to wait two more weeks to see if anything improves.
Kenna told me the transplant surgeon said she is in a precarious spot. Even if her liver stays where it’s at and doesn’t get worse, she will continue to get sick. He feels she is a good candidate and would rather get her on the list sooner rather than later. If they wait too long she could get too sick and not be able to have one.
Next week is more doctor’s appointments to determine her surgical status. Wednesday is a procedure called EGD. I won’t even attempt to spell out the over 20 letter procedure! Basically it’s a scope that goes down her throat to check her esophagus, stomach, and upper part of the small intestine. They are making sure there are no ulcers, bleeding, growths, etc that would disqualify her for surgery. So far every exam she’s had - dental, MRI, cardiac cath, and more I can’t even think of, have all had good results.
Please continue to keep her on your thoughts and prayers. This process is way more complicated than we realized.