Dad here - we haven't posted much because, quite frankly, Kenna's status is in a "wait and see" mode. We're waiting to hear "big" news - transplant? Or, no? She's had her struggles - susceptible to bugs going around, aches, pains, pneumonia, infections, etc. Since July 3, she's been to the emergency room 6 or 7 times and been admitted to the hospital 5 times. All to be expected, so the medical team tells us. She still has dialysis 3 times a weeks and is still a candidate for a double (liver/kidney) transplant. But, I'm going to post some positive news.
Kenna's bilirubin levels were as high as 40+ in July. For comparison, "normal" bili levels are about 1. She is down to about 12. Still high, but a remarkable drop since that time. Her labs have been steadily improving on all fronts. On that front, the medical team is cautiously optimistic, as we are, that she may not need a liver transplant, at least not as soon as they expected a couple months ago.
She's gained some weight, up to about 112 from 100lbs and she is eating well. She needs to load up on protein and carbs and the doctor wants her to keep gaining weight. Her BMI is up as well, all factors in determining if a patient is well and strong enough to withstand an 8 - 11 hour double transplant surgery.
Basically, that's it to report. Her mother and I are in it for the long haul and we are hoping and praying that Kenna continues her remarkable recovery. We do believe in miracles, and are appreciative of all the prayers and support that so many of you have done on her behalf. For that, we are grateful. Stay tuned...