Share. Connect. Love.

Kim’s Journey to Healing

We want everyone to be able to stay up to date on the latest as we progress through treatment and move forward.

Latest journal entry

To Radiate or Not to Radiate... that has been the question.

     Hello family & friends! It’s been a while since the last post and a lot has happened. In my last post, I mentioned having a mastectomy and starting the reconstruction process. I am now recovering well and able to pick up Evie again after a weight restriction of 6 weeks. Side note:  I am not sure how we would have made it through that 6 weeks without auntie E(Chad’s aunt).  She moved in with us for 5 weeks and took such great care of us, so thankful!  Elijah and Elizabeth (Evie) are growing so fast and are little blessings.

     Since last I posted, my oncologist wanted me to replace Herceptin with Kadcyla. A recent case study came out showing that kadcyla has better results for the cancer not returning. Its a mixture of chemo and Herceptin so it’s a little harsher on my body but better results. Last Friday was the first time I got the infusion and I was drained for 2 days with some nausea but by Sunday I was a lot better. I will take it every 3 weeks until the end of the year. I can stop it at any time and go back to Herceptin if it becomes too much.

     Now let’s talk radiation. I was told from the beginning that I would need radiation due to my age, having positive lymph nodes and the size of the tumor. My oncologist and breast surgeon were on my side researching and hoping I wouldn’t have to radiate. However after months of research they told me there is no data on my situation and it’s best to radiate. I do not want to be the guinea pig. After much prayer, I’ve decided to just ‘rip the bandaid’ and do it. I really don’t want the cancer to return because if it comes back it’s much harder the second time around. I NEVER want to do chemo again!!! I am set to do a CAT scan next week for my radiologist (yes, I have a new doctor) to determine the time period for my radiation. She believes it will be 6 weeks, Monday through Friday, every week. There are several negatives to radiation, such as possibly harming the reconstruction process however my biggest hangup is the fact that it is prolonging the healing process and taking me away from my job yet again of raising my children. Now that I’ve had my little tantrum, I'm ready to move on...lets get this show on the road....lets get er done. I hope to start radiation in 2 weeksand finish sometime in September which means my 2nd reconstruction surgery will hopefully be no later than November.

     Please continue to keep us in your prayers. I also ask that you add my mom, Sheila McKnight. She has had some major health set backs and not many questions answered. She has Multiple Schlerosis and Trigeminal Neuralgia (caused by MS). She was recently in the hospital for 4 nights due to an MS relapse.  It’s really hard on her to not be able to help us right now and hard on me that I can’t be there for her as much as I would like.  Thankfully she is at home now and doing a lot better but she hasn’t regained all her strength yet.

     Thank you to everyone who have been so faithful in walking through this with us.  We couldn’t do it without you!

Love,

Chad and Kim

picture info: 1) Elijah & Evie in Croatian attire  2) Chads mom, Sus, holding Evie.  My in laws live next door and are soooo helpful. 3) auntie E and I running errands  4) my mom holding a sleepy Evie

Stay in the know. Sign up to receive email notifications the moment new Journal entries are posted