Hey friends and family, I talked to Mom this afternoon and here are the big themes of the conversation.
Thought you might like to eavesdrop for a minute.
- Glory to God for a great bone marrow biopsy report! No sign of acute leukemia present at 30 days. And blood type has already changed from A+ to new blood type O+ (the donor's blood type). The bone marrow is working!!
- I have GVHD (graft versus host disease ) which is unpleasant and a little scary BUT the doctors are quick to remind us that we must have some GVHD for the transplant to be successful, but too much can be serious and must be monitored.
- GVHD is basically when the donor cells and the recipient's cells are at odds with each other -- our bodies have immune systems to identify and eliminate cells that don't below. That's how we fight off a cold or bacterial infection. In my case, I'm now genetically part me and 53-year-old man (genetically speaking). That leads to some confusion and parts of my body think other parts of my body should be attacked. So I have some skin and stomach irritation but it could be much worse.
- Along those lines, pray for an appetite and some taste buds to work so eating is a little more fun than it currently is.
- Should be in Houston for about 58 more days -- I cannot wait to be home!
- I'm so thankful for all my wonderful pray warriors & supporters.