Posted 2018-06-22T22:30:32Z

Day 53: New Stem Cells Mean New Blood Type -- An Adventure in Stem Cell Transplantation

Hey friends and family, I talked to Mom this afternoon and here are the big themes of the conversation.

Thought you might like to eavesdrop for a minute.

• Glory to God for a great bone marrow biopsy report! No sign of acute leukemia present at 30 days.  And blood type has already changed from A+ to new blood type O+ (the donor's blood type). The bone marrow is working!!
  • I have GVHD (graft versus host disease ) which is unpleasant and a little scary BUT the doctors are quick to remind us that we must have some GVHD for the transplant to be successful, but too much can be serious and must be monitored.
  • GVHD is basically when the donor cells and the recipient's cells are at odds with each other -- our bodies have immune systems to identify and eliminate cells that don't below. That's how we fight off a cold or bacterial infection. In my case, I'm now genetically part me and 53-year-old man (genetically speaking). That leads to some confusion and parts of my body think other parts of my body should be attacked. So I have some skin and stomach irritation but it could be much worse.
  • Along those lines, pray for an appetite and some taste buds to work so eating is a little more fun than it currently is.
  • Should be in Houston for about 58 more days -- I cannot wait to be home!
  • I'm so thankful for all my wonderful pray warriors & supporters.

馃挏馃挏馃挏馃槝馃槝馃槝

-Lesa

Marian Belson

Praise God! You鈥檝e been on my heart so much lately that I was thrilled to see this post! I can鈥檛 wait for you to come either! Love you! 💕

Diane Dill

God is Good, Lesa. You look so good to have been and going thru what you're going thru. Will keep up the prayers and pray that you would like to have a DQ Blizzard!!

Sandra Nees

So glad to hear you are progressing forward. Things sound good. I am so happy for you and your family.you will still be in our hearts and prayers. Hugs Sandy Nees

Kay Atkins

We are so glad to get these good messages. We think of you so much. Love you.

Marsha W Kish

Your long road to recovery is slowly getting shorter!! Stay the course, my friend. Austin is shining at the end of that tunnel.

Betsy Horton

Praise God for medical advancements to help you. It is one step forward, a hop backwards but full steam ahead for good health and Austin. I think of you everyday to stay strong. It is not an easy journey being sick but you are fighting to be strong. Take care.

Judy Day

Always nice to get updates & a better understanding of how the transplant works. Prays will continue as you move forward in your recovery!💜💜💜

Christie Schroeter

YOU'RE STRONG!!! God is keeping you able, willing and ready. He'll never let you down. We can't wait to see you livin' the life on Enchanted Hilltop Way! Love and continued prayers from Rick and Christie

Charlotte Barton

So amazing-the process and you! Hang in there, Lesa! I鈥檓 praying and praising God!

Pat McLerran

We are so happy to hear this wonderful news. All the prayers are being answered. 💜🙏🏼💜

Retta McHan

Oh my gosh..what great news..so glad it is working

Wendy Malloch

Eat, eat, eat, build strength and beat this disease. Prayers are with you!!!!

Lynn Perilloux

my prayers continue every day for a successful transplant with very few hiccups.....

Shirley Tucker

Things are looking good and Thank God. The updates are wonderful to have so keep them coming. Good vibes and prayers are always out there.

Carolyn Henry

Lesa, so happy to hear of your progress. You are such a testament of strength and faith. I pray that our loving Father continue to watch over you and that you develop an appetite and that the graft issue goes away soon. Love and hugs! Carolyn

Sally McConnell

Wow! That鈥檚 wonderful news! I pray your appetite returns soon.

Susan Wattinger

Hello My Dear Lesa! So glad everything is progressing forward! You are such an inspiration of strength and faith...keep up the good work! I look forward seeing and hugging you again! Homemade applesauce: puree red juicy apples & gala apples with cinnamon and a touch of nutmeg in a blender. This is what I fixed for Trey during his time of not having taste buds for food during chemo. Using plastic silverware helped for not tasting the metal taste, too. Hope this is helpful! You are in my heart, prayers and thoughts always! HUGS TO ALL OF YOU!!! P.S. Lee, Happy Belated Birthday! Hope you had an enjoyable and memorable day with your family! Heart you all!

Tara Iagulli

You are a trooper Lesa! Luckily you were never too girly so hopefully your body will accept being half man soon. How wild to have a new blood type. Hurray for staying cancer free! Praying for you to keep up the fight and/or lay down arms against the donor cells so you can be home soon.