Posted 2015-10-05T03:13:47Z

Oct. 5th begins the 4th week of Radiation

Hello all, Oct. 5th will mark the beginning of the 4th week of radiation for Wendy.  If all goes as usual, Wendy will be wiped out tired come Wed. and then rebound with more energy by Friday.  The weekends Wendy usually gets out for a hike, enjoying the fall foliage and animal movements.  Wendy's surgical scare is healing well.  The radiation site continues to redden with increased radiation exposure.  Wendy has been doing gentle therapy on her shoulder, which is still sore.  But movement helps.  Wendy has recently traded out all her unique animal interactions for interesting sightings from the kingdom Fungi.  And I thought I was the only "fun-guy"in her life... ok pretty bad pun but worth the shot. On one hike Wendy found a growth of cauliflower mushroom, which, in Anthony's words "that's big medicine".  Then We discovered we are growing turkey tail mushrooms in our garden  Along with the barrel size of chaga that Wendy is to drink I think she is getting her fill of the fungi.  What incredible healing properties that some of the mushroom kingdom have, and we know so little.

We are seeing the light at the end of the tunnel, at least for this initial part of cancer treatment.  We are looking forward to the appointment in Tucson for our first followup with the Ocology team.  Enjoy the fall weather.  thank you for all the continued support.  It continues to be a great blessing and support from all the amazing Flagstaff and beyond friends and family.  cheers, Jeff

Bette O'Connor

personally, I really liked the pun... keep 'em coming. Light at the end of the tunnel, very good thing. The Hines family continues to inspire and amaze. So much love to you.

Cameron Clark

Breezie! Hinz 57. You inspire. I know nothing of the shrooms... Need education.

Monica Akens

Thanks Jeff! Are you guys continuing the meal train for Oct? We continue to hold you all close to our hearts! ❤️

Ulla Lundgren

Thanks for the update Jeff, Jeff Huebner and I are at hotel deluxe in Portland celebrating our 16th anniversary and I'm going to yoga workshop too. These updates means so much to us who don't live in Flagstaff. Thanks for keeping us posted. We love you guys very much. We are thinking about you a lot. LOVE

Lee Caire

Sending love and support to you both.......always.

Robyn Cass

Sending love! Thinking of you all the time Wendy! You guys are rockin' it! The end is in sight.

Jeffrey Welch

Great news all around Jeff! Thanks for the updates.

Toni McConnel

What a fun surprise that Wendy is fascinated with fungi. I am too, and just now starting to study and learn about them. As you may know, when biological kingdoms and domains were recently revised, no one could figure out where to put fungi so they had to give them a kingdom of their own. So much for our obsession with classifying and ordering the world. 8-) I need to put a penciled note for "fun-guy" in my book on kingdoms and domains (genius biologist Lynn Margulis and others). I wonder if you guys will be recognized for this contribution to biology. I think fun-guys are a rich potential for further research, and I'm going to look for opportunities in this area.

Jessica Young

Thanks for the updates Jeff! Sending you all big mountain hugs, love you all, think of you all the time, and hope to see you soon!

Kate Phillips

Love!!!

Sylviane ross

Loved the "fun-guy" joke. My prayers are still in force for you.

Shelli Welch

Exploring Fungus! How cool! Sending you lots of love and joy at Wendy's healing and positive changes!

Jill Camirand

Thinking of you both, you are almost there! cheers, Jill

Toni McConnel

Followup to prior post: I am thinking of writing a fun-guy manual, classifying the various subspecies (with photos) and describing habitat, characteristics of each type, which kinds are poisonous and which are benign, and so on. I could get a little raunchy here but am restraining myself. What do you think?