Share. Connect. Love.

Luke G - Journal

Read Entries & Updates


Posted 2017-05-31T02:31:02Z

Day 281...

After a wonderful weekend and two and a half weeks since Luke’s last chemo treatment, we spent all day in clinic today for Cyclophosphamide, Doxorubicin and Vincristine. I’m glad Luke’s counts were good to go, but starting up again and knowing how it’ll hit him always breaks my heart a little. Even after all of these months, it’s still pretty hard to believe that it’s real. That, plus facing Teddy’s last day of high school today, made for kind of a grouchy, sad morning for me.[...]

Posted 2017-05-27T03:45:00Z

Day 277...

Luke's chemo was delayed again yesterday because his platelets were too low. We'll try again on Tuesday. Of course I'm a little nervous about him not having chemo, but I'm also thrilled that he's feeling so well. He's gone running and has done at least 100 situps every day this week.[...]

Posted 2017-05-25T03:54:08Z

Day 275...

Yesterday, Luke and I met my mom and sister for lunch at Cooper's Hawk at about the halfway point between our house and theirs. The food was great, and it was great to see them. Wish we could see then more often.[...]

Posted 2017-05-23T03:48:00Z

More good days...

Luke had a great weekend and a great day today!

On Saturday morning, we braved the Evanston farmers market in the cold rain. We figured if Ryan and Kathia were out there making crepes in that weather, we should be there to eat them! They were delicious as always. Ryan even gave Luke a chance to try his hand at spinning crepes -- not nearly as easy as they make it look.[...]

Posted 2017-05-20T03:14:16Z

Doing well...

Aside from 3 hours in clinic to get blood today, it's been a great few of days for Luke. We were about to head to Big Bowl for lunch today when he mentioned that he felt like his hemoglobin was low and that he might want to get a transfusion before the weekend. He knows his body well -- he was 0.1 above the must transfuse level. He missed Big Bowl, but is glad that his head isn't throbbing with activity anymore.[...]

Posted 2017-05-17T02:49:00Z

Day 267...

Luke turned the corner late Sunday afternoon and has been feeling really well since then.

We had a nice Mother's Day morning and early afternoon, before I headed to Aurora to watch Kate play volleyball. It wasn't the best volleyball I've seen (by a long shot), so that part of Mother's Day could have been better. Still nice to be with her though.

Penny has been under the weather the last few days, and has been up multiple times during the nights to go out. We took her to the vet this morning, and she seems a little better. I'm sure hoping that's the case for my sake and for hers. Luke misses going to the dog party too![...]

Posted 2017-05-14T03:36:57Z

Day 264...

Well, Luke made it to the dog party and to the pool today, but the rest of the day wasn't so great for him.

After the dog party, I headed to Kate's soccer game (the first of her team's 5 short games today). Luke was feeling ok when I left. We planned that Paul would take him to the Evanson market or that we'd go after Kate's game or maybe after her second game. As the day went on, he kept postponing our departure because he just wasn't feeling well. Sadly, we ended up deciding to skip it.[...]

Posted 2017-05-13T03:52:21Z


We're home! The doctors and nurses beat Luke's discharge goal by about 5 minutes, and we were home before 12:30.

He's been feeling quite well today, especially compared to how he was feeling earlier this week. He had an acupuncture session this afternoon, and felt even better after that.[...]

Posted 2017-05-12T03:26:40Z

Day 262...

Today was a better day for Luke -- not great, but definitely better. He actually ate breakfast, lunch and dinner. He had a few visitors today too. I think they helped today go a little more quickly.[...]

Posted 2017-05-11T03:17:42Z

Day 261...

Not much new to report today. Luke's still not feeling great, but that's to be expected -- poor guy! 3 chemo treatments on board, 2 to go this week. Today's was at 9 am; tomorrow's will be at 5. Penny came to visit again, and they got some good snuggles in. He ate a little cereal this morning, but nothing else until 8:00 tonight. He finally decided at 7:45 that he was in the mood for a certain pasta dish from Gusto. I couldn't turn him down, but I did talk him into asking Cafe Lucci if they could make something similar since they're closer to the hospital. It was raining pretty hard when I went out, but he ate and felt better afterward so it was worth it.[...]