Posted 2018-10-25T22:23:55Z

Over the radiation finish line!

On Monday October 22, I had my last date with Sparky. Six weeks of radiation are over, along with the end of the current round of chemo. Cheers all around!

Even with the celebrating, side effects like fatigue and nausea, and a stubborn cold, have been unpleasant. But I stay grateful for what is behind me, and I know the side effects will be history in a week or so. Take one day at a time, and with my family by my side, progress is happening. Now I get 4 weeks off, which mostly means being home in Maine and then in the middle, I will slip away to a spa in Arizona for several days. Can't wait for that.

In the meantime, John and I went to my 40th business school reunion a couple weekends ago (lots of fun, and I even had enough hair for a comb-over), friends have visited from out of town, family is here regularly, and I am still eating every calorie that passes in my direction. You can only cross one bridge at a time, and food deprivation comes later.

I'm sending all of you gratitude and love for keeping me in your thoughts and prayers! This is a team event, but please do not send cookies. That part has really gotten out of control!

Judith P Hallett

Thanks for the update, dearest Beth! We are rooting for you and your indomitable spirit with hope and deepest affection!

Kate McNay Koch

Hurray for this completed leg of the journey and your continued positivity! We are all sending you love and hope and strength :) Love, love, love, love, Kater, Bill, Mehana and Will

tess

The spa sounds like the best thing in the world to celebrate completion of radiation and chemo. Pamper yourself! Love, Tess

Paula Butturini

WONDERFUL, WONDERFUL news, Beth. A huge step. I'm sending all the strength I have in your direction. Love that you managed to get out to a reunion, and with enough hair for a comb-over... Maine will be a perfect restorative. Nothing like staring at salt water to regroup your forces. Onward! paula

Ali Chung

That is such encouraging news Beth. So good to know - sending you lots of love and thinking good thoughts. Ali

Rick & Debby Smith

So glad for you Beth! We think of you often and hope we can get together here for dinner. much love, Deb and Rick

Hallie Stephenson Lee

Wow ! So sorry to hear what you have to endure in the last 6 weeks, but glad you have been able to do some celebrating like your HBS 40th ! Enjoy Maine and your visit to the spa. Hope to see you when you return to the Boston area, and please know that you are definitely in my thoughts and prayers. Hallie X0

Paula P Hanson

Fantastic news! Hope you can now enjoy your respite in Maine. We are sending positive thoughts your way! - Paula

Rebecca Yturregui

How wonderful that you're back home in Maine, with a respite in Arizona to break up the monotony. Sending you much love and many, many hugs. (But no cookies.)

Kathryn Porterfield

Wonderful news Beth! And so glad you felt well enough to do the reunion, combover and all! Enjoy your well deserved time in Maine and at the spa, girding your loins and your energy for the next stretch. I think of you daily and am so glad when you post an update. Kathryn

Nancy Wanderer

It's so good to have the chemo done, Beth. Have a wonderful time at that spa. In the meantime, Maine is beautiful. I would love to get together with you sometime when you are back in Maine. Also, we may have a friend in common--Jan Booth, who also recently celebrated her 40th business school reunion. I hope you shake that cold and any remaining side effects soon. It will be wonderful to feel normal and healthy again.

Gail Klapper

Whew! I feel your relief. Enjoy the four weeks respite. Happy thoughts and much love Gail

Kathy Kaufmann

Thank you so much, dearest Beth, for the update. I loved seeing you at Wellesley's campaign celebration and am delighted to hear that you attended your business school reunion as well. You are an inspiration and a role model for us all. Enjoy the spa and every morsel of delicious food that touches your lips. Sending so much love and caring.

Jennifer

That is wonderful news!! Welcome home to Maine! The sea air is so comforting, the perfect place to heal and recharge. Sending much love and hugs to you and John!

Betsy Cohen

So glad to see you for a hug at our reunion. You looked great and sounded great. Keep it up. Love, Betsy

Deb DeWalt

Well done getting those hurdles behind you and enjoy the 4 weeks off from the fight! A good dose of Maine and some pampering should be just what the Drs order. It would be great to see you and John while you are here for cup of tea, light supper or whatever we can work out.

Maggie DeVries

Beth, you are amazing-- maybe even BIONIC! Congratulations on your truly amazing spirit, and may the chemo-monster never darken your doorway again!! hugs from Maggie--

Helene Tuchman

love your choices for celebrating . Keep on.

Cathy iberg

Thanks for the update..hang in there and enjoy the spa!

Becca Weiss

Congratulations Beth! Hoping that Maine and Arizona fill your heart and soul with healing. So glad you recognize all the love that's out there in this world for you. You are a special person! And P.S. - I knew Nancy Wanderer from Colby (if it's the same one) and I also know Kathy Kaufman (assuming she's the same KK as I know). Looks like our worlds may overlap in more ways than one! Sending so much love and support (& no cookies, I promise!) from Vermont.

Phyllis McGibbon

Wonderful news! Bravo Beth! I have been thinking of you each and every day, knowing that you are about to receive a tremendous gift of feeling normal again, as your body begins to recognize that the barrage has passed.

Deborah Bedell

Beth, I'm so glad to know you've come through radiation like a proud Wellesley Woman--with flying colors! I know how much you love your Maine home and I'm delighted to know you'll have a chance to get some R&R there. (I just returned on Sunday.) Lots of healing and healthy thoughts coming your way-- Cheers!

Gloria Towle

Always wonderful to read your updates and hear that you are strong in spirit! Please know that so many people are taking this journey along side of you and keeping you and John in our hearts and prayers every single day! Happy to hear that you and "Sparky" have broken up.... You have the one and only perfect guy in your life....hang on tight....he's a keeper! <3 Hugs....xoxo

Diana Chapman Walsh

Dear Beth, Yes to reunions, spas, Maine, family, respites from the ardors of treatment, successful comb-overs, and so many loving friends eagerly awaiting your every update ... I join the chorus, with my love, Diana

Pam Wetherbee

Beth, so glad you've cleared this significant hurdle. I know Maine and a side trip to Arizona will be great for your soul and body! Your spirit is an inspiration to us all! All my best thoughts continue to head your way! Pam

Mary Davidson

🎉🎊🎈yayyy Beth! I am soo happy for you to be done with your radiation. You are truly blessed to be surrounded by so much love and support, and we are blessed and inspired to be sharing your journey from afar. 🍪🍪🍪too many cookies, oh my🙃. 🎈❤️💜🙏🎉💃XOXOXOXOX

Mary Davidson

P.s. Arizona sounds like a dream.....well deserved..enjoy every second

Bob Nusbaum

Glad you're done with this phase. Sorry Sue and I missed you at the reunion. We had signed up to attend, but I cancelled out to spend more time with my 94-year-old father, who is in failing health. Sue and I summer in Maine at Popham Beach. Send me a note via regular or HBS Alumni e-mail and we'll get together next summer.

Rick & Debby Smith

You are an amazing human being and an inspiration o us all. Your spirit is helping me deal with my difficult condition. Thank you... Hugs & kisses to you and the boy from the County, Ricky

Wendy Shattuck

Dear Beth I’m so happy Seawall awaits you! Hope Arizona is meditative and uplifting! You are such a wonder and I am so happy this phase has ended. Onward! xo Wendy

Comfort H Cope

Hooray for crossing this important finish line, dear Bethy! Seawall Pt will even more therapeutic than usual. As will spa treatments in Arizona. Enjoy every moment . I continue to think of you often. Sending love and hope, Comfort

Mary Laurence Flynn

Beth I am so happy to hear you have "Sparky" behind you. As always, I am in awe of your grace, indomitable spirit and courage. So glad you are headed back to Seawall Point ....the foliage should be burning bright for your return. Miss you and John and sending you both much love. ML

Thomas O'Shea

This is great, Beth. Have a terrific time in Maine and Arizona. That sounds like a perfect plan!

Betty Sudarsky

Hooray for completion of all that. You are so spunky to go to your HBS reunion. Nobody compares to you, my friend. Had dinner w Dick and Sally Phelps who send you all their love..I’ll have to see you in person to fill you in on the details. We in Newton are rooting you on. And send love, Betty

MELISSA Ludtke

What a relief to know you have this tough combo in the rear view mirror. I love that you are combining the craggy cold ocean views of Maine with the cozy warm Arizona desert get-away. Ways to refresh and invigorate, along with relaxing and pampering yourself. which is something few of us do often enough. Enjoy your time away from Boston, but when you return, and it's colder and darker earlier in the day, I'd love to stop by for an afternoon visit and I promise I won't bring cookies. Can't promise I won't bring some delicious surprise, but it won't be cookies. Looking forward to seeing you soon. Hugs and love, Melissa

Abigail Barr

Thank you for letting us bask in the warmth of your good news!

Leslie Mattson

I promise not to send cookies but to keep sending love and positive energy to you. Leslie M.

Carroll Fernald

Hooray for you and your family, Beth! You are my hero for going through this with such a lovely attitude and spirit! I hope your weeks off and spa visit will replenish you completely. Carroll Fernald

Kay White Drew

Glad to hear it, Beth. Enjoy getting some R & R (NOT radiation!). Keeping you in my thoughts. XO

Joanna Nelson

I am so happy for you as you enter a week of renewal and much needed time doing even more of what you enjoy. I remain inspired by you gratefulness and hope. Love to both of you.

Pam Melroy

Beth - glad that the Sparky journey is over and you are enjoying the glorious treat that is autumn in Maine! From around the other side of the world in Australia, where spring is in full bloom, sending heartfelt thoughts of love and friendship.

Nancy Beren

Thank you for sharing the update. You are a major inspiration. Enjoy your "time off." Stay strong and of great courage!

Lori Johnson

Beth, So happy to hear about your great progress and how you’re feeling about it. We would love to see you in Arizona if you are feeling up to it. Love and blessings to you and Johnny. Love, Lori & Bill

SUSAN COVINO BUELL

PHENOMENAL news, Beth--I am happy the SPARKY weeks are over. You are constantly in my thoughts. Keeping you close and sending hope- with love, SUSAN COVINO BUELL

Janet Wood

We are so glad to hear that you are able to have 4 weeks to rest, enjoy Maine and relax at an Arizona spa. Your spirit continues to be an inspiration. Sending prayers and good wishes, Janet and Ed Wood

Janet Wood

Wonderful news! We are so glad to hear that you have 4 weeks to rest, enjoy Maine and relax at a spa. Your spirit is such an inspiration! Sending prayers and good wishes, Janet and Ed Wood

Jane Condon

SPA BABY! Have fun, Beth!

MJ Schepers

Hello Beth, My life has been crazy with travel and work. I’m off again on Saturday till the 3 rd of December. I hope you will be around so I can come see you and a John. Happy Thanksgiving MJ

Corinne Goldstein

Thinking of you over the Thanksgiving holiday and hope you were able to spend a wonderful weekend with family and friends with the first round of treatment behind you. Stay strong!