Posted 2015-08-27T03:24:10Z

August 26, 2015 - After 37 Years We're Still Going Strong With A Little (Actually A Lot) Help from Our Friends & Family

8/26

Happy 37 Year Anniversary

Josh night shift's RN update indicated a fairly restful night with IV pain medication & Fentanyl patch & that his "days & nights" of course being off kilter.  He underwent dialysis (IHD=Intermittent Hemodialysis) from 930a-1230p.  He was not able to be up in the chair today due to yesterday's surgery.  During today’s PT (Physical Therapy) session, Dean had him do unilateral leg presses using a Shuttle Mini Press which will assist Perry to be able to stand at a later date hopefully in the near future.   He fell asleep while doing his L leg presses.   His Respiratory Therapist, Bill, informed me that Perry had been on CPAP since early morning & was continuing to do very well.  Bill is hopeful that perhaps by the weekend with increased nourishment & strength, Perry may be able to have his trach capped (off vent) for brief intervals.  He began to receive formula via his J-tube (jejunostomy tube) at 1p @ 15 mL/hr.  The doctor also wanted to continue with TPN (total parenteral nutrition) via IV for at least another day to help boost his nourishment & gain more strength.

He was able to give a few "real" smiles & several puckered up kisses today as we celebrated our 37th year anniversary of the day we met at an Indiana State University Student Union Dance between Rhodes & Mills Hall. It was my 2nd night on campus & Perry went to the dance to scope out the incoming freshmen.  Shortly after eye contact & playfulness was established, this really dark slender, handsome, young man in a red shirt, who had been leaning against the railing & smiling at me (also known as "cool, smooth Perry") asked me to dance. Except for the fact that I was eighteen, "I Saw Her Standing There" pretty much sums it up as well as the song, “Last Time I Felt Like This.”  Within the first few minutes of dancing, I had learned he was Italian from Chicago Heights & Olympia Fields, had a congenital heart condition of Transposition of the Great Vessels, had had 2 heart surgeries done by the pioneers of cardiac surgeries & that he had 102 stitches on his open heart chest scar.  He told me about his loving parents, 2 brothers, very close & large family & friends back home as well as his Indiana State University Kappa Sigma fraternity brothers.  I learned that he absolutely loved music, specifically Rock & Roll, the Beatles, Aerosmith, Led Zepplin, Black Sabbath, The Rolling Stones, playing air guitar, the game of golf, the Cubs & the Bears & the Bulls.  I invited him up to "my place" for homemade chocolate chip cookies & Coca Cola…. stay tuned for the rest of the story!!!

For your listening enjoyment:

Jess DiGiovanni

❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️ Awwwww I loved that story!!!! And gooooo perry!! :) you both are so amazing! Now, finish the story!

Jess DiGiovanni

Also....yeah sure..."coca cola and cookies.."

Joan Armon

Happy Anniversary and many more!

Mary Prisco Rodriguez

Love the LOVE STORY...now you have me hooked!! You are both an amazing couple, and thank you for sharing your love story and the incredible updates! Prayers are being said daily!! Go Team Perry and Misty! xoxo

Terry Lanzi

Happy Anniversary!! You two are quite the dynamic duo! Patiently waiting for the rest of the story.....

Edith P Hanrahan

You guys are so cute!!!

Sue Hokkanen

Love it!! Happy Anniversary of the truly blessed and beautiful beginning of true love!!

Diane Kissinger

Happy First Meeting Anniversary! You are truly meant for each other! You are an inspiration to many. You have an amazing family & have touched so many with your story--thanks for sharing & showing all of us what love & faith can do.

Dianne Cook

Happy Anniversary!! 💖💖

Dennis G. Barker

But when we first met him he had Long dark flowing hair, long beard & that super tan, I asked Ann as we were leaving ISU, "Did you happen to see 12 others, or the same appearance?" "No, why?" "Well, said I, I was checking out if he had on sandals or sackcloth, for a second, I thought she was dating Jesus!" Guess that's why we love him so!

Joni DeBusk

Now that's a cool first sighting and a lot of info during first dance. Love at first sight. Due love wonderful firsts. Can't wait for the next chapter, how long you dated before getting married, etc. You two are great and complete each other. Congratulations on your "first" meet anniversary. After 54 years of marriage, I totally remember my first dance with Ken. All medical info in this post sounds good, forward progress. Go Perry and your awesome team. Love, Joni & Ken

Joanne Bruni

What a beautiful beginning of a truly wonderful love story. You two were meant for each other and although you were both lucky to have each other, God sent you to Perry as his lover and nurse. You are remarkable and each day I look forward to your latest post, allowing us to follow each day's journey. Happy Anniversary; praying and wishing you many more! I love the fact that you celebrate your meeting date. To this day, on the beginning of Stu's and my love story (March 11, 1951) I celebrate our life together and thank God for bringing him into my young life. Sending many hugs and kisses to you and Perry! Looking forward to the rest of your story! Love, Joanne

Tracy Matus

Absolutely love your love story! Keeping Perry and you in my daily prayers.

Marta Dhein

What a great story! You two are an inspiration. Many prayers every day.

Roxanne Murphy

Happy Anniversary Perry and Misty!! Your love for one another is as strong as the day you were married. Perry keep fighting my friend. Misty, keep up the good work you are doing for the love of your life. You are true soul mates. Love you guys, Roxanne.

Dennis G. Barker

Perry's Dear Mother Doreen loved Misty beyond words, the second time we met him, his hair and beard were shorter and neatly groomed. By the 4th meeting, he was clean shaven and the haircut was what I would call perfect. He was Pure Ivy League! What a good woman can do for a Good Man.