Perry had another bronchoscopy at 4 PM EST today. He came back to his room in J-51 after the procedure around 5:15 PM EST and was having a visible presence of bloody secretions and clots while suctioning his trach which continued for awhile. His blood oxygen saturation levels had decreased as low as 78% during this time, so an emergency medical team was called in to monitor and be available in case of emergency while trying to schedule another bronchoscopy for the doctors to take another look to see what may be causing the issues. While waiting for the next bronchoscopy to be scheduled, Perry's vitals had regulated for a bit until another clot had loosened. He was awake during this time and noticeably scared with all the recent occurrences and commotion. At 9:30 PM Misty and a slew of staff had moved Perry to G62 Bed 2 in the MICU (Medical Intensive Care Unit) for closer monitoring. Around 10-10:15 PM, Perry was exhibiting more labored breathing, the Respiratory Therapists had increased his vent settings to increase his oxygen saturation levels to 100%, and he was given pain medication in preparation for the bronchoscopy which began at 10:50 PM.
The second bronchoscopy revealed a slow leak from the new heart/lung anastomoses site (where his own anatomy connects to the donor's heart/lungs). We are waiting to hear more from other doctors after they have a chance to review the pictures taken of the site. Perry is resting comfortably now and they are holding off on suctioning for awhile to not aggravate the area. His vitals have remained stable.
We will let you know more as more information becomes available and thank you all for your continued support & prayers!!!