Posted 2016-10-24T17:59:33Z

Twists and turns of chemo

I haven't posted an update in awhile and honestly it's because it's hard to know what to say at this point. The effects of chemo are cumulative and they have definitely caught up with me.

After finishing round 5, I've spent the last two weeks feeling very nauseous, weak and tired. Between the disease and the chemo, I've lost about 15-20 lbs., leaving me with little to no muscle/strength and very small energy reserves. I've been trying to be kind to myself and take it very easy when I can, recognizing that this is my reality while I finish out this insane treatment. All I can do is eat as well as I can, drink plenty of water, and get some movement in each day (some days more than others). When I'm in my nadar, which lasted about 5 days this round, there were several days when I was onto a forced liquid diet and couldn't do much of anything - including talk (I hate you mucusitis!!!). I'm always so so grateful when that part of the cycle passes.

After finally eating again for a few days, sadly I went off track Saturday night when I indulged in too many slices of the yummy (gluten & dairy free) pizza we've been treating ourselves to about once a cycle during this experience (ack!). Bellyache ensued and landed me in the ER yesterday getting fluids because I just couldn't get any food or water in me and felt really woozy.

I'm so close to the end and hopefully this is a not-too-awful bump in the road.

The plan is for me to get re-hydrated and re-fueled with food for the next two days and then start my final chemo round on Wednesday. Honestly I just can't wait to get it done and wish we didn't have to delay at all, but I can't go into six days of chemo depleted like this.

Please raise a glass with me—mine will be water, of course.

Here's to my final round of DA-REPOCH! May I get to it as soon as possible and through it as easily as possible with the best nurses, doctors and hospital support staff ever (thanks UCSF!!!). Then let the healing process begin!

Eric Wlasak

Keep going, Arielle!! The days sound more than rough, but you are tougher than any of it. Be in the moment, take each day as it comes, and know you are supported and loved! Xoxo Eric

Rebecca Young

Arielle, I'm so sorry that every step of this already miserable process has been so hard, but I'm so glad you're so close to being done with chemo! Healing thoughts and love for you, I hope the next two days are peaceful and you recover so that you can start on Wednesday and then be DONE so you can focus on your healing journey next!

Farris Rosen

Sending all my healing thoughts to you and your belly, and to a really mild last round of chemo starting this week. Soon this will be over and you will eat yummy pizza again....in the meantime we will send more bread!

Natalie Rosen

Healing thoughts are on their way! I'm raising my coffee cup to you so that you may get re-fueled and re-hydrated, then be able to power through the last round of chemo. (So joyous to type "last round of chemo") xoxoxo

Stacey wolfson

You're almost there! One more to go! That is amazing. And then it's on to recovery and more pizza. Sending you so much love and prayer for a bump-free last round and a speedy return to good health. XOXO

Carolyn Laub

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear about this. Damn! Sending you love and healing thoughts for this ER trip + final round of chemo. Light, yeah you, at the end of the tunnel, meet Arielle. She's coming for you! [P. S. I'm hoping my kids will stay well this week and I'll be able to come visit! I would love to see you in person.]

Sheri Rosen

Raising my water bottle to one final round! You are truly almost done!! I know you will get through this one - miserable as it is. Soon you will be looking back at this strange and difficult time. It will fade and you will move forward. There is always some good in these bad things ... and I know that you will find them. Love, hugs and kisses to you in your final round and healing!!

Kaylee Mulligan

LAST ROUND! What a joy to finally be at this moment! As Dr. Seuss says: “You're off to Great Places! Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting, So... get on your way!” Today IS your day! It's Day 1 of your LAST round of chemo!! This is amazing. You are so strong, so brave, so courageous, so beautiful, so persistent, and so powerful. I am so proud of you, Arie. SO much love, gentle hugs and hand holdings, and TLC coming to you in this final push. Love you so much and am so excited to soon be able to say, 6/6!

Jordan

Hank and I are sending good thoughts your way! (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ

Post comment comments require approval.