Share. Connect. Love.

Posted 2016-10-06T16:01:47Z

October 6

Shawn started a different clinical study on Friday, September 30. This study combines two oral medicines that have both been used to treat lymphoma, but have not been used in conjunction with each other. They are both medicines to which his cancer has not yet been exposed, so the hope is that the treatment will attack the resistant cancer cells so that he can move forward to stem cell transplant. This week, however, a complication has arisen in which a vein leading from his liver has been obstructed by the tumor, which has affected liver function. Today we are at St. Mary's in Huntington where they are attempting to first drain fluid from his abdomen that has built up due to the liver issue, followed by a procedure to place a stent in the obstructed vein. If all goes well today, we will return to Columbus for the week two treatment in the clinical study. Treatment is planned to continue once a week for a month, followed by scans to check progress. After week four, his medical team will decide to either continue with the study, move ahead toward transplant, or take some other path to get him to transplant. Please continue to pray for Shawn, our family, and the medical professionals who are treating him. This journey has been very challenging for us all and we sincerely appreciate the outpouring of support from our loved ones, family, and friends. Thank you and may God bless you all!

Stay in the know. Sign up to receive email notifications the moment new Journal entries are posted

Comments (4)

  • JoAnn Smith
    JoAnn Smith

    I pray for him, and his recovery every night!!!

    3 years ago · Reply
  • Shellee Wilson
    Shellee Wilson

    Continuing to lift you all up in prayer. Sending much love to all of you.

    3 years ago · Reply
Post comment comments require approval.