Posted 2019-01-08T17:10:50Z

More than funfetti cake

This week has been a great week! Mom has been feeling hungry and energized with limited pain. Several days ago she asked when she might be able to drive again. Sandy and I explained to her that was probably not the best option, but if she wanted to go somewhere just ask. She quickly responded, “I would like to go to the grocery store”.   Wow she must really be feeling great as that was never one of her favorite stops. The next day I took her to the grocery store. She wanted to push the cart and was excited to be doing something for herself. It quickly became obvious why driving is not in the immediate future. Before even getting out of the fresh produce isle, mom successfully ran her cart into three different display racks. Luckily, I prevented the cart from hitting too hard and the melons from rolling on the floor. That day we had a successful trip, and she was more than willing to relinquish her cart duty, in order to free up her hands for grabbing her favorite snacks. She was excited about her big outing and her sense of independence once again.

Yesterday mom decided she wanted to go to the grocery store again. This time we wandered up and down the isles looking for; “Whatever excited her”. For those who know Susan one could guess which isle she migrated to. Yes the baking isle. It wasn’t long before she had a very special box of funfetti cake in her cart. “Why funfetti mom? Why not chocolate?” I should have known the answer.... “I love the colors”.

This week my mother has taught me several important life lessons. Number one, don’t take even the jobs you dread the most for granted. And number two, whenever you get a chance the more color the better.

This morning while picking my mom up for round two of Chemo, I indulged in a funfetti cupcake. They were delicious, and in fact fun colors. I do love this woman, there is never a dull moment. Dare I say I love her even more than funfetti cake.

Annette MacNair

Oh Funfetti!! Emily, I’m trying to bake bread again today after yesterday’s failure! Hope to have a loaf on the counter when you bring your momma home 🥖 You are the best Emily❣️

Julia Buck

Your Mom made a funfetti cake for Augustus’s 1st Birthday party. The frosting had coconut. She showed me how to be a good Mom. I’m forever grateful.

Felicia Knight

I love this. And I will definitely use the poor driving of the grocery cart for some good fun when I see her next. You're the best, Em, and you're doing a wonderful job keeping this train running. Sue, you have an army behind you, but Em is the four-star general. Love you both. ❤️❤️

Bonnie Hilding

Felicia I will also use the cart incident to my advantage the next time I see Sue!!! Best to you Em and to Sue!

Pam Tibbetts

Sue, just want you to know I am thinking of you and sending healing thoughts. Now I am thinking of confetti cake...hugs!

Vicki Mitchell

Sue, know that Rick and I are behind you with everything we have! Fight the fight and we’ll have our annual camp visit before you know it. I’m available if you or Emily need anything...don’t hesitate. For the record....I only made it til 9 New Years Eve and LOVE confetti cake and lots of color! Sending lots of positive juju, big hugs and much love! Vicki (and Rick)❤️

Linda Knight

Stay strong Susan, sounds like you have a great team and tons of support! You have the spirit, keep on doing things you love just don’t overdo. Listen to all that have your back and love U! #ROCKON💕❤️

Theresa Jones

Keep fighting the fight, Susie. You've still got a lot to do on this Earth! Thinking of you and sending strength and love.

Jean McLean

Susan....I’m keep better track of you but it looks like your daughter is doing a great job. You gotta keep getting better. We have lots of bitchin to do over Mr Wonderful and I need you to continue to keep up sending me your common sense posts. Take care my friend and do as the Queen said...eat cake...funfetti is best.

Liz dailey

I just discovered this blog update. Thank you. Thinking about all of you. Sue, Emily, Sandy...and sending you strength, hope, and love! Liz dailey

Suzy Halwick

Miss happy hour with you and our great political discussions! Looking forward to being back at it this spring. Think of you daily and keep Sandy in line!

Marcia

Emily, such wonderful lessons to learn from your Mom. Keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers. ❤️

Lisa Burgess

Heard you stopped by the store the other day, She. So sorry I missed you. Didn't hear you were in until you had left. Glad to hear you are up and about. Think of you often.

Betty Emmons

Sue, I just heard about this courageous battle you are in. and am sending you my thoughts and prayers.

Michael Clarke

Emily, you are an incredible writer. All the best to you and your Mom. Your parents did a great job. Your writing shares wit, love, humor, empathy, compassion, hope, wisdom. These are incredible gifts. Love and Respect. Thanks for sharing. Michael and John

Brenda Sears

Sue, if you (or your girls) need anything, I'm just up the road a bit. Sending hugs and healing thoughts from the hill 💕

Patricia LeBlanc

Sue, you got this. One step at a time. It’s my turn to cover your back...any thing I can do for you just say the word! You are in my thoughts and Prayers. Stay strong, keep the Faith, have courage and always have hope! From one survivor to another we will beat this!