Share. Connect. Love.

Posted 2018-09-01T20:10:19Z

9/1/18, 4:09 PM

After everything we have been through and all the progress my mom had made, in the end, it didn’t stop the inevitable. My mom passed away this morning. We are unsure of the cause because she was doing so well, and we are unsure how the next few weeks will look for us as of yet. My dad woke up, and she simply wasn’t breathing. The paramedics were called immediately as my dad started CPR, but there was nothing anyone could do. Thanks to everyone who helped us along the way, whether it be by coming by to help out here, sending food, sending money, etc., we appreciated everything. [...]

Posted 2018-08-31T17:25:00Z

8/31/18, 1:05 PM

My mom has been getting more and more therapy everyday. When the therapists are not around, we take it upon ourselves to give my mom a workout, whether it be on the hand/leg bike, standing, balancing, etc.. We wanted to share with you guys some photos, so you can see exactly how she is doing physically since a lot of you are unable to visit a lot of the time. We've gotten her on her feet many times, with her participation varying, and it seems to be helping a lot in getting her strength back and hopes up. She's verbalized her wanting to stand constantly as well, which makes us happy because she is truly working so hard to get better. Unfortunately, it takes so many people to get her on her feet, even with the rock climbing gear, so sometimes it is not even a possibility. On those days, however, there are countless other exercises that we can do with her.[...]

Posted 2018-08-07T03:00:00Z

8/6/18, 10:15 PM

As these posts are becoming more scarce, we are working harder than ever to get my mom back into good health. Obviously in the last several months, much has happened that we have been wanting to share with everyone, some good news and some bad, but overall my mom continues to progress. I'm going to try to explain everything as chronologically as possible, but for those of us who have been around everyday, most of it is an honest blur.[...]

Posted 2018-05-14T20:35:04Z

5/14/18, 3:55 PM

I want to start this post by apologizing since it has been so long since we have updated everyone from here. Since my mom's return home, we have been incredibly busy keeping her clean, fed, and healthy, on top of our already-busy lives of attending classes and going to work. Everything has been going smoothly, however, the first few days home we were struggling with a trial-and-error process to figure out how everything was going to work.[...]

Posted 2018-05-08T16:11:22Z

Sign Up Genius for Suzi

Some of Suzi's friends wanted a way to help the Jozokos Family, and made a sign up page to do just that.  The program is called Sign Up Genius.  It is a way for people to sign up to be with Suzi when the family either may not be able to, or to provide a meal for the family.  Mark will be heading back to work full time soon and we are using this to communicate when there are times that Suzi could use some company.  Suzi's parents are there every morning and Mark's parents are there every afternoon, as well as the kids on and off, 24/7.  Right now there are not many available slots, but eventually when Mark does go back full time, there will be lots of availability.  Here is the link to the sign up page.  There will be more time slots added, so check back when you can.  Suzi makes progress every day and loves having visitors.  Visitors are welcome any time of day, so please don't feel obligated to sign up just to visit. More can be explained on the sign up page, but if you have any questions or suggestions, let us know!  [...]

Posted 2018-04-17T20:44:00Z

4/17/18, 4:37 PM

My mom is finally home!! We’re putting our final touches on everything to our house; thank you SO much to everyone that’s been involved in the process. We got the wheelchair van today, which is really nice and fits our entire family. That’ll be so helpful when we want to go places. We are so lucky to have so many people on our side. She is really happy to be home, and Max was so excited to see her, which is one of the best parts. She’s really tired and quiet so far but everything is only up from here (: We will continue to be in touch, but at the moment there’s not much to say. Everything has been going really well. [...]

Posted 2018-03-13T23:56:38Z

Great Week

Suzi has made some great progress during the last week, and today she was the most alert she has been since her stroke.  She made some jokes today and was very talkative.  Her speech is still a whisper, but it is getting stronger.  I was telling her to do a lot of things today like move your leg, hand, shoulder, this way and that way.  She proceeded to tell me that she didn't like me telling her what to do all the time.  I thought it was a good time to fill her in on my legal guardianship, which means I am the boss.  Her reply, "So I have to do everything you say? I don't think so. You are not the boss of me." Other milestones today where FaceTime with kids and dog, throwing a ball, and wiping her eyes with a tissue.  She was also moving her legs a lot, so that is great sign that she will gain the use of them at some point. Today she also told me that she looks forward to going home.  Today was the most encouraging day so far.[...]

Posted 2018-03-03T20:05:28Z

Steady but slow

Suzi is making good progress, but it is painfully slow. The neurologist from MGH is thrilled with her progress, so that is a good thing. Suzi has been a little more alert the last few days. She is still minimally conscious, but definitely emerging. She is starting to become more aware of her situation. Earlier in the week Suzi told Kaitlin she was sad because she can’t move. She also cried the other night. It breaks my heart, but the doctors say it is a good sign that she is getting more awareness and having these emotions. [...]

Posted 2018-02-08T03:18:00Z

2/7/18, 10:00 PM

My mom has had a very eventful past several days, and a lot of progress has been made, giving us more hope than ever. First, let me backtrack. Ever since her surgery, my mom has seemed really shaky, and having extreme difficulty in speaking the same things she had been previously. This concerned us, but we were assured that injured brains just take longer to recover from anesthesia than a healthy brain, so it was normal for there to be some side effects so soon afterwards. Days passed, and we grew even more concerned, and so were her doctors, so she was sent back to MGH for some scans. They turned out good, and it was later determined she just had a UTI. She is getting medication for it now, and we are hoping for her to be back to "normal" soon.[...]