Posted 2018-07-27T15:03:08Z

Ahhhhh Life is Good!

Hi all,

My updates are getting more infrequent and that’s a good thing, so when you don’t hear from me, know that all is good.  I am doing GREAT!  I’ve recovered from the reversal surgery well, other than some lingering bathroom issues, but I can deal with that.  I feel like my journey through cancer has come to an end and life is returning to normal ... just a new normal.  I have no signs of cancer in me and my cancer markers are next to nothing!  Yeah!  I tell people that I feel normal, almost like I never went through all that I went through.  But my belly shows otherwise with the roadmap of scars and my psyche is filled with more gratitude.  It’s amazing how an extremely hard circumstance like cancer can fill you with more joy and appreciation, but it does.  Not that I’d wish hard circumstances on anyone.  Some of you are going through cancer treatments right now (or other tough circumstances), and I have to say “fight hard and keep the faith”. It can get better!  It does get better!  There is always HOPE!  My journey was very difficult at times and I had an ever present heightened awareness of my mortality.  I don’t think that will go away entirely, and maybe that’s a good thing.  It gives me reason to be joyful right now ... today, in this moment.  And to celebrate my return to good health and all those around me (you)!  I’m fully aware that Ovarian Cancer has a high rate of reoccurrence and if that happens to me, I know I will resume the fight.  My prayer is that I won’t have to.  There are so many new treatments and I feel like I had the best care team.  I truly credit Johns Hopkins and MD Oncology with saving my life ... all through the grace of God!

I have a few more minor procedures to go through, will start a maintenance drug which I will need to stay on the rest of my life, and obviously will need routine scans.  But the heavy lifting part of the cancer treatments are all behind me now.

I am back to work full time now.  I’ve reinstated my membership at the YMCA and need to work on rebuilding some muscle tone.  Staying active, spending time in nature, and renewing my faith every day are important parts of my non-work hours.  My family and I just came back from a week in Canada.  We were off the grid at a cabin owned by lifelong friends on a lake 3 hours north of Toronto (the same place where I spent time as a child).  Talk about refreshing and soul nourishing!  Here are a few pictures!

I’m still waiting for my hair to grow back (it’s about 1/2” long right now). But my eyebrows and eyelashes are back!  You women will understand how great that feels.  When my hair is long enough, I’ll look very different from what my normal hairstyle had been as I’ll have super short hair and lots of gray!  I’m planning to embrace it!

Again my thoughts always come back to appreciating all of you and the wonderful encouragement you have given me .... which strengthened me throughout this journey.  I couldn’t have done it without all of you!  I will be eternally grateful!

So I don’t know when I will write again!  Just know that I am doing well, that I beat my cancer, and that I’m out doing what Tim McGraw says in his song “Live Like You Were Dying”.

Love you all .... and forever grateful!

Julie

Barbie Ensor

Glad to hear you are doing well, Julie! Prayers for your continued healing!

Julie Baird

Thanks Barbie, looking forward to seeing you!

Brad Prizer

Hi Julie - So glad you're now on this side of the cancer journey - God has been faithful. Your posts have always been very encouraging and it has been awesome to see how God gave you the grace that you needed each day to get through this journey. We will continue to pray that you remain cancer free!

Julie Baird

Thanks Brad, God has been faithful! Hope to see all of you again in the near future. Jan and I are trying to determine if we can come to the Waco Silobration again this year. If not this year, then definitely next.

Wanda Manigo-Cartwright

Great News!!! God is good!!!

Julie Baird

Thanks Wanda, He certainly is!

Valerie Sikora

Julie, So very happy for you and many prayers for your continued healing. I look forward to seeing your smiling face in our meetings again!!

Julie Baird

Thanks Valerie! Looking forward to seeing you too!

Christine Baird

Hi Julie, That is super news! So happy for you and the beautiful time you got to spend with family. The pictures look so peaceful and relaxing. Love, Christine

Julie Baird

Thanks Christine! Love and miss you!

Stella Liang

What an uplifting update that brightens up the day! So glad to hear that you are doing great, Julie. Cheers to "live like you were dying". I used another song "like i'm gonna lose you" for my wedding. Same idea. Cannot agree more. Cherish the day and what we have.

Julie Baird

I love that song too Stella. Miss you at Hopkins!

Diane Machen

What an incredible blessing, Julie! We are so thankful for what God has done, and you have been an inspiration to so many as you walked this journey! Come and see us in Plano!

Julie Baird

Thanks Diane. Jan and I are assessing if we can come to the Waco Silobration again this year. If so, we will definitely come visit you all! ❤️

Cynthia sokolow

So excited to hear the good news! Have been enjoying your pics on Facebook. Thanks for keeping us up to date. Thinking of you often! - Candy

Julie Baird

Thank you Candy! See you soon!

Kathy Arches

Great news!

Thanks Kathy!

Mary Troutman

Julie, congratulations on all your good news. The photos from your Canada vacation are spectacular! My best to you going forward.

Julie Baird

Thank you Mary. We will need to get together again!

Susan Sacchetti

Keep the faith, Jules...onward & upward. My journey taught me to never look back, embrace the new normals (even when challenging at times), & to slow down to appreciate even life’s tiniest of blessings. You, my dear friend, are doing the same, so I have no doubts that you will feel stronger, more courageous, & more confident about your future than you ever thought possible. Statistics are merely statistics, odds are odds, & we are meant to defy them! Live in the moment...there’s no more “later”!! Love you & so proud of you!!❤️

Julie Baird

You’ve been an inspiration to me during my cancer journey Susan. Love you dear friend!

Bill Thomas

So glad to hear you continue your journey in a positive direction You are blessed and a true inspiration to all who know you I will continue to pray for your full recovery from this horrible disease I am grateful you have taught me to continue to fight and never give up and continue my belief in God to restore my health Thanks Julie Continue to be well Your friend Bill Thomas

Julie Baird

Yes keep fighting Bill! You never know when a breakthrough will happen. Stay strong!

Lorrence N. Prizer

Wow Jule, I just read this update and it brought tears to my eyes! You are such an inspiration to me! I pray and thank God every day for your healing and the wonderful outcome from this ordeal you went through, but even more that you are my sister! What an inspiration you are to all of us especially me. It makes all of my aches and pains seem so minor. I'm fine as always but you have given me the strength and attitude to do a lot more to be the best that I can be! Thank you and thank you for being my sister. I love you! Regards Lorry

Julie Baird

Awww such a sweet message Lor! I love you too and look forward to the Prizer picnic in September! Hope you’re enjoying retirement!

Sharon Lee

Julie, Congrats! I am smiling ear to ear at your great news. All of your posts have been amazing and encouraging. Looking forward to seeing you around campus!

Julie Baird

Hope to see you too Sharon! Thanks for being so supportive!

Debbie Cardwell

Julie, Congratulations on winning the battle and establishing new normals! As a cancer survivor, I can especially appreciate and understand your outlook on life and what you've been thru. Well said! As Cancer warriors, we CAN rise to the occasion and battle our hardest, if need be. We celebrate each day and are grateful for our care team. I'm so glad I've gotten to know you. Fate brought us together. Let the good times roll! Love, Debbie

Julie Baird

Thanks Debbie! I’m so glad I’ve gotten to know you! You’ve given me inspiration to keep going no matter what! ❤️

Patricia Riley

Such HAPPY news! You have been and will continue to be an inspiration to so many! Thank you for that.

Julie Baird

Thanks Pat! Hope we can get a weekend visit on the books.

Regina chell

Julie Thanks for what I hope may be your final post since you will be so busy returning to your new normal You are an amazining woman and a positive role model for so many Celebrating you and your recovery Thanks for sharing Love you

Thanks Regina! Hope you’re enjoying your summer and beach time! ❤️

Rich & Carol Grove

Your trip to Canada looks like a beautiful stop on your journey - best wishes for more beautiful stops along the way Rich & Carol

Julie Baird

Thanks Rich and Carol! I miss seeing you guys. If you’re in town, stop by sometime!

Smither

Oh dear girl! What a well written piece! I may have to revisit it once a week to remind me of what is important in life! I thank God every day for your renewed health.

Julie Baird

Thanks Smither ... can’t wait to celebrate all of our many milestones in Rincon! ❤️

Shelly Speicher Aallocco

Now this is the e-mail I have been waiting to receive from you. YOU DID IT !!!! You won this battle and your stories have been so inspiring and your strength has shown thru in every message. It will be so nice to see you back at work on a regular basis.