Posted 2017-12-04T21:30:00Z

Bumps in the Road

Sorry for the delay in posting an update--it’s been a weekend of ups and downs. In short, everything related to the actual surgery is hunky-dory, but all the general recovery stuff has been rough. There’s lots going on, but most of it isn’t really stuff I want to post about (endless details about bodily fluids, their measurement and proclivities, that sort of thing).

Erik, hanging in there

Saturday, Erik had a procedure to dilate his pylorus (the sphincter between the stomach and intestine), which went well, but he also had to get his nasogastric tube put back in, which is not comfortable.

Sunday, I went up to Cabot for our first read-through of Mary Poppins (which I’m producing and Cameron is music directing), and was able to have lunch and dinner with Cameron and my parents, get a few things I needed, and check on things at home. Our new kitten Caillou is of the opinion that our canary is obviously only in a cage on a high shelf to make him more challenging to catch, so I helped with some troubleshooting there...

While I was away, our respite care provider (so to speak) was our dear friend Andy, who came for several hours to lighten Erik’s spirits, engage his brain, and accompany him for a walk down the hall. Later, Nacio and his parents made another visit and played some Hardanger fiddle music, which I’m really sorry I missed, but Erik enjoyed very much. We’re looking forward to hearing more at the Revels performance in a couple weeks!

susan turner

How you have time to update us with everything else going on is beyond me!! But it's good to know, and good to see Erik actually looking well, even if he does have a pipe in his nose! Good luck on the show - what fun to work on it together. Hope Erik gets to see it too. Much love, Sue

Sasha Thayer`

From afar in Vienna, I wish you all well and healing, Erik and Karen...

Rebecca Gould

Thanks for that update. I'm cheering Erik (and, by extension, all of you) ON. Recovery stuff can be really hard. You want everything to be over. And it isn't. Hang in there!

Barbara Halada

Thank you for the update! It was really good to see you yesterday; I also don't know how you juggle so much. I had forgotten about the birthday kitten; I can't wait to meet Caillou! I am truly thankful that Erik has come through all this safely; I know recovery is the worse part (no anesthesia during the recovery phase), and it seems endless. Hang in there.

barbara grandberg

ouch.....having the ng tube inserted while awake is not fun :[ and so sorry about going through everything else.......what a challenging medical adventure ......hang in there...i know...easy for me to say.....and hope caillou and the canary each have safe spaces :] still sending lots of healthy/healing thoughts and [[[[[[[[hugs]]]]]]

Karen Mueller-Harder

Actually, they were able to put in the NG tube while he was knocked out for the dilation, which is very good! Just its being there is uncomfortable, especially since it's the 2nd one. :-( But they might be able to take it out tomorrow, if they think there's enough peristalsis to move the air along from his stomach; they'll reassess in the morning.

Sally Denmead

Thanks for the update and so sorry about all of this fine-tuning you are having to endure. P.S. Mr. Erik...It might amuse you to know that one of your fabulous bottles of cider turned up buried in the back of our fridge. (Yes, I see you wondering about my fridge...). Anyway, it was none the worse for having been buried so long and toasts were made to you and your improving health.

Alice Clark

Karen and Erik - you both and your children - your family - sound wonderful. Many prayers and blessings to you all! Keep up the good work, Erik!

Rebecca Gould

Assuming this is the Alice I think it is, we can let Erik know that there is an emerging team of aging CCHS graduates all routing for him!

Rebecca Gould

And glad also to hear that Theater is being created even amidst this intense medical stuff!

jessica Offir

Very sorry about the NG tube, though glad he was asleep -- I've done it awake (Cory had to hold me down) and there was a lot of shrieking, as I recall. And I do recall, because NG tubes suck eggs. *Very* glad Erik was asleep, and hope it comes out for good soon. (When they removed mine, the free end flew over the doctor's head and hit the wall in back of him. It was a rodeo event.) As to the new stripey cat, I can't blame him, as canaries are a festive snack. Can you hang the cage from the ceiling? That's how we had the lovebirds, back in the day. It provided entertainment to the birds, too, as they could throw stuff down onto out heads for fun. It sounds like the recovery period is getting pretty wearing. What a long sucky slog! I really hope you get a solid boost forward *soon*!! Hi to all ☺