Share. Connect. Love.

Posted 2013-01-08T00:38:49Z

January 7, 2013

I posted a status about Daddy on my Facebook page and got an overwhelming response from family, friends, and neighbors with prayers and messages of support and comfort. Many people have asked to be kept updated so I have created this site for that purpose. 

First of all, I want to thank you all for your prayers, messages, calls, texts, and visits. 

For some brief background, Daddy has COPD and congestive heart failure. He's been to the hospital several times in the past few years for brief visits. 

On Wednesday, January 2 he was having some difficulty breathing and exhibiting some strange behavior, so he was taken to the emergency room in Chowan. They found that his co2 levels were very high and started him on a bi-pap machine. After about 12 hours in the ER he was transferred to Vidant Medical Center (formerly Pitt Memorial) in Greenville. 

Treatment with the bi-pap continued through Saturday, but with no success at bringing the co2 levels to an acceptable point. It was determined that he would need to be moved to ICU and placed on a breathing tube in order to accomplish this goal. This was done Saturday evening around 5p.m. 

A cat scan of his lungs revealed that the right lung is pretty much deteriorated and hardened to the point of being non-functional. A cat scan of his brain revealed no damage from the high co2 levels. 

As of today, he is still on the breathing tube but is breathing on his own and they are working on weaning him off. They are also gradually decreasing the level of sedation. He has not been completely "out" and has been somewhat aware all along. His catheter was removed today and it does not appear that he will need it any longer. 

He has frequently been anxious and agitated throughout his stay and has not been able to communicate well, which is all the more frustrating for him. We are hoping that the removal of the catheter, which will allow him to get dressed in his pajamas, will alleviate some of the stress for him while the doctors continue to wean him from the breathing tube. 

Treatment and recovery will be a long road, as there are many variables to consider. Right now, we are looking at more time in ICU, and then intermediate care, and then general care. Family members are taking turns spending the night at the hospital, so far in teams of two and we will continue to do whatever is needed to help him through this situation. 

This page will be updated with new information as it becomes available. Your continued prayers are truly appreciated by all of us, more than I can possibly say. 


Stay in the know. Sign up to receive email notifications the moment new Journal entries are posted

Comments (0)

Comments are closed.Guest post?