Share. Connect. Love.

Posted 2013-01-14T17:14:08Z

January 14, 2013 - Noon

Daddy came off the bi-pap around 8 a.m. this morning; the levels are stabilized for now.

We had a family meeting this morning with Daddy and the doctor. We were basically presented with three options if/when the levels rise again:

1. Continue use of the bi-pap machine as long as its feasible and works. This would include use of a home version anytime he sleeps, including naps.

2. A second intubation, which would result in a trach and permanent ventilator, along with a feeding tube. This would basically be life support and would require Daddy to live in a nursing home for the rest of his life.

3. Do nothing and let nature take it's course.

Daddy chose option 1, followed by 3 if that fails. He does not wish to be on life support nor to be resuscitated if his heart fails. These wishes are now part of his medical records and we were all present to hear him.

Of course, the doctors can't/won't make any specific predictions, but if the bi-pap continues to work Daddy's life will progress normally for his age and condition. If the co2 levels continue to spike, it will be greatly shortened.

He is aware of everything, including the fact that his right lung is no longer functional, and we are confident that he understands his decision. He spent some time discussing his love for us and his wishes for services. While this was an awful conversation for all of us it is good to know what he wants so that we can honor it when the time comes.

Please continue to keep Daddy and all of us in your prayers - this is incredibly difficult for us.

Stay in the know. Sign up to receive email notifications the moment new Journal entries are posted

Comments (0)

Comments are closed.Guest post?