Posted 2019-05-07T20:59:00Z

Killed by Schedule 1?

Anxious countdown:  12, 11, 10 days until surgery.  Nine days until I have new incisions -- will they be big or small?  Will they break my sternum again?  Will I leave the hospital with all my organs?  Or will my spleen and the tail of my pancreas be staying behind?  Such a twisted knot of emotions, desperately wanting yet equally dreading surgery.  I am trying not to think about the struggle of recovery but instead focus on the goal.   Eight days until cancer free!!

For the next week, I will continue to push my surgery anxiety aside and bury it behind a huge pile of "how cannabis kills cancer" research.  After my amazing CA125 results I launched into more investigating.  I read mainstream books and the crazy fringe conspiracy corners of the internet.  I struggled through abstracts in journals with catchy names like Cancer and Metastasis Review, Gynecological Oncology and Journal of Clinical Oncology.  I watched TED Talks and videos from the Canna Med conferences.  For those of you intrigued about cannabis and cancer here are a few curated links...

a brief history of the legality of Cannabis

videos from the 3 researchers doing the best Canna cancer research.

Dr. Sanches

Dr. Meiri

Dr. Mcallister

To summarize.  Cannabis was in the pharmacopeia for thousands of years.  In 1974, THC was first documented to kill cancer cells.  But back in 1936, after a particularly ill-informed and deceitful process, cannabis was placed in Schedule 1, which by definition means no accepted medical use.  This classification has made it illegal/impossible to do cannabis research.  Finally, in 2000, Dr. Guzman from the University of Madrid rediscovered cannabinoids' antineoplastic effects.  A few pre-clinical studies began in Spain and Israel.  For the past decade cell and mouse model data started trickling in with hopeful and amazing results.

After poring over the latest studies, I am confident that cannabis has hundreds of therapeutic compounds.  Maybe even one that cures OC; maybe not.  It is wild speculation if there is a *curative* compound in there for me.    But I do believe cannabis is slowing my tumor growth and I hope to have clear and dramatic proof after surgery!  But how does it work?  What dose?  Can it kill the stubborn OC stem cells?  Do I need to take maintenance doses for life?  Which compounds are actually working?  Will I get the answers to these questing in time?  I doubt it.  I feel like I have been killed by Schedule 1.  Not an addictive destructive drug, but a lack of knowledge.  Oh, the irony.

Tomorrow is World Ovarian Cancer Day.  To honor all the women fighting this horrible disease, please call your member of Congress (find your member here) and ask them to support medical cannabis research by signing on to Rep. Eric Swalwell's letter dated May 7th, 2019 urging faster approval of medicinal cannabis research.  Ask your congressperson to contact Andrew Ginsburg in Swalwell's office to sign on to the letter.

MK

P.S.  Not one hour after posting... the fabulous Lee Heller told me she had discussed with Salud, our Rep., and he will sign.  You go, Lee.  You WIN at Democracy.

Heller Lee

I am rooting for you to have a great surgical outcome! And to keep pouring your energy into researching cannabis and sharing your knowledge to help others too! Can you post a jpg of that Swalwell letter?

one year ago · Reply
      Michelle Elyse Kendall

there are three pictures of the letter in the post. Is it now showing up? I bet your looking on your phone, maybe pictures only show up on desktop.

one year ago · Reply
    Jessie Altstatt

My great-uncle was a pharmacist who was unable to use cannabis in his formulations after 1937 due to its elimination from the US Phamacopeia. According to my father, his uncle was extremely bitter and angry by this baseless decision as he had found it to be an extremely useful tool when treating his patients (I don't know what conditions exactly he was using it for). Michelle, I'm proud of you for researching and educating the rest of us (show us some graphs!) and I'll be calling Rep Swalwell to thank him and calling our local Rep to ask him to support.

one year ago · Reply
      Michelle Elyse Kendall

great idea to say thank you. Im sure congresfolk get 100 angry letters for every 1 thank you.

one year ago · Reply
      Michelle Elyse Kendall

I'm going to post a graph next week, with my next results.

one year ago · Reply
    Joyce Margolin

You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

one year ago · Reply
    EvelynCavins

YOU, my dear, are the most amazing woman. And I’m so proud to be your mom.

one year ago · Reply
    James Cavins

My rep., Democrat Joe Neguse, is getting a call tomorrow. You’re brave and strong Michelle. We can only try to imagine what you are going through. All my love and support is there for you. We will be there next week for hugs in person. Jim

one year ago · Reply
    Maria C

Michelle, you are such an amazing person. I know how challenging and energy-sucking this type of research is. Thanks for sharing your curated findings--very interesting and hopeful preclinical results. My congressman already signed! Your momentum and positive energy for your surgery next week is growing. I'm anxious to hear the results of your preop blood work, and fingers crossed on what they will find when they go in. Based on what you've told us so far, I am optimistic for positive outcomes. Also, this just got announced--$9M from a Harvard/MIT alum to fund basic and clinical research on cannabinoids: https://hms.harvard.edu/news/unraveling-cannabinoids. It doesn't specifically mention cancer research, but money flowing to basic research helps all cannabinoid research, and they leave the door open for therapeutic research, so who knows! This rare non-federal funding will undoubtedly do some good in getting us some useful facts.

one year ago · Reply
      Michelle Elyse Kendall

Maria, thank you for the kind words and the fabulous news of the generous cannabis donation to Harvard and MIT. Maybe I will come visit you and drop off some tumore cells when the lab is up and running.

one year ago · Reply
    Laurel Lyle

Ducky- we are sending you love and energy from Granada. Not home til May 28th, and knowing you, you’ll be running laps and weeding La Huerta. In any event, will be meals and games and gardening in our future. Love love love warrior woman!!! Hodgie and Laurel💕

one year ago · Reply