Posted 2016-10-12T15:13:00Z

10/12/16 - The Fight Continues

Next Monday will mark the 4 week/one month date that my doctor said I will live to. Although the last few weeks have not gone by without incident, I'd like to share how things are going with the fight!

Stomach Troubles OMG: Since the start of hospice over three weeks ago, I've had a really bad stomach. In the interest of continued full disclosure, overshare time, but we're talking urgent movements where I would need to run to the restroom. This would keep me up for many nights and prevent me from eating during the day or leaving the house. My hospice team was as puzzled as I was, thought it may be a blockage, but we never checked or got an x-ray because my doctor didn't think it was. I was worried this was a side effect of my failing liver.

Last Friday after I had 12 movements from 5pm to 5am and woke up with cramps in my stomach I said it was enough and went to the ER. We did an X-ray and CT scan and didn't find a blockage, and did do a stool culture. The sample showed that I had a bad bug this whole time and prescribed me antibiotics to fight it (was it the Jamba Juice I had a few weeks ago?). I'm currently taking the antibiotics, and hopefully that will end this inconvenience, as I'm still not at 100% with the stomach.

Cold and Sinus Infection: My first week of hospice I had also caught a cold and sinus infection, giving me a pretty bad cough. There were a few days I would cough up blood, but luckily I think the cold has passed. With as many colds are going around now, and I'm trying to be careful, but Caleb is now fighting a bad cold this week so I can't even get close to my son =(.

Energy: My energy seems to be about the same, but there are times where I'll feel exhausted and need to take a break or sit down. I am now taking sleeping pills at night so hopefully that will help me get some good rest for the day.

Shortness of Breath: This one concerns me the most at this point, but my shortness of breath has gotten progressively worse the last couple days, and I've found that I'm needing my oxygen more and more, even with little activity. I'm even wheezing more when not under exertion, but hopefully this too will pass and get better.

Mentally: I'm still good! I'm still positive and so grateful that I'm feeling well enough to enjoy this time, despite the timelines given by the doctors. We're enjoying many visitors and gatherings, and I feel like I've never been closer to my family and friends. I'll continue to update on any changes to my condition for as long as I'm able to physically and mentally.

Lastly, as I mentioned, I'm so happy to even be alive especially today because today we celebrate my wife Samantha's birthday! Happy birthday! We took professional pictures earlier this week with the amazing NickLeungPhotography.com and I'd like to share a few of those here.  For more, check out the album

Thanks for reading, and keep sending those thoughts, energy, prayers, and vibes and let's see if I can make it to Thanksgiving! I love you all!

-Jerome

Jonas Amos

was great seeing you guys this weekend jerome. love and admire your spirit beyond words

Nai Saelee

Beautiful pictures!! So happy you're still in good spirits!

John Park

Jerome, What a good looking family. May you fight to see you Calebs next birthday and year after that and year after that. God bless. Praying for you.

Patrick Alfonso

Jerome, you're a true champ! Keep fighting and know that God is your strength. Praying for you bro! God Bless

Marissa Scroggins

I'm so glad I got to visit with you all on Monday even though Wyatt's energy made it slightly challenging to actually sit and converse like adults :) Your pictures turned out lovely, you'd never know that visitors were there preventing you from getting ready, lol. Happy Birthday Sam!! We love you guys. Thanks for the update. Keep fighting. <3

Dawn Liburd

Happy Birthday, Sam! I hope that you have a BLESSED Day and trust that the boys will spoil you ;). Fantastic pics, Jerome...so happy to hear that you continue to be in great spirits. We continue to send the prayers and good vibes your way...

Anna Leung

Keep fighting Jerome! <3

Greg Hunter

Glad that you are showing the docs that you are a fighter! I still want to stop by and visit you man! Please lmk when you are available!

Lesli D Holcomb

Love the pics!!!! Such a beautiful family.

Desirea Navarro

Sending all the love ❤️

Michalis Tsavdaridis

Happy birthday to your wife Jerome and all the best for your family! Keep up the hard work and good spirit and you will always win ;-) We are sending you all our love from Ireland!

Mudit

Happy b'day to Sam. Jerome, you continue to inspire us, it was great meeting you, Sam and Caleb at MS.Keep figthting bro, we all are praying for you. God bless you always!

Jayne E. Sims

Jerome, We do no know each other but my daughter- in law Carissa Sims, has shared your amazing and inspirational story with me. Thank you for sharing your walk with others, it is beyond inspirational. God Bless you and your beautiful family and may God continue to provide you and your family the fortitude as you continue walking your journey. I will hold you in my prayers.

Meera Venkatesh

Happy birthday, Sam! Jerome, as always, keep up the great fighting spirits!!!!

R. Tan

I have never met you but we have mutual friend, which led me to seeing your site and seeing yiur beautiful posts. I want to tell you how much I admire your strength and spirit. My husband had cancer a year ago, I remember the struggles and also how it brought us even closer together by showing us all what is really important in life. You have an amazing wife and family that are so blessed to have you in their lives. Take care and I hope that stomach bug goes away soon!!

Luisa Naval Amoranto

Jerome, you are included in my daily prayers. Keep on fighting! Looking at your family pictures gives me hope that a miracle is happening. May God continue to embrace and give you strength when you are overwhelmed with this trial.

Jessica

Jerome you are in my daily prayers especially the Holy Rosary. I believe in miracles. It's coming your way GOD willing. You possess such a high spirit and a strong determination. God continue to bless you and your wonderful family and friends Keep the FAITH. It heals you. Amen