Posted 2020-05-13T22:55:00Z

Three Things I Know for Sure

Thank you for all the nice feedback from last week’s update. I’ve gotten a lot of encouragement to write more, especially about recent lessons learned, doctor stories and other topics that might help a few people. I’m still mulling over how to address these areas, but in the meantime, I thought I would share something a bit lighter, more fun and hopefully interactive.

Last year, when I was in the hospital for 5 weeks, my friend Kelly invented a super creative activities book to keep me amused. My favorite activity was to list 10 Things I Know for Sure, a nod to Oprah’s famous expression. I won’t bore you with all ten, but here are the three that resonate with me the most.

1.     You Need Intuition and Analysis to Make Good Decisions. Most of my yuppie friends tolerate my spiritual stories but in their hearts are very skeptical. They hesitate to dip a toe in these waters for fear of sullying their intellectual credibility. Conversely, my psychic friends often despise corporate types for being closed minded and are deeply suspicious of Western medicine. Me? I might be one of the only people on the planet with a JD/MBA who graduated from a clairvoyant program. I just think that God gave us two sides of our brain. Why wouldn’t we use both of them?

2.     People Who Travel Know More.  Recently, I watched a PBS series called Sacred Wonders which profiled religious sites around the world. I was so excited to see familiar places! I had been to 1/3 – 1/2 of them. Candidly, I’m proud that I’ve been to about 31 countries and 47 states. I love having that historical or cultural knowledge in my brain and finding links at odd times. I give foundational credit to my parents who somehow weren’t fazed by taking two children and seven pieces of luggage around the world in 1965.

3.     Everything and Everyone Can Leave. My father was almost a mathematical genius when he was young. By the end of his life, he had trouble with easy arithmetic. That’s when I realized that even our strongest capabilities will diminish with time. I’m still working on accepting gracefully the disappearance of old friends and close relatives. I tend to be deeply hurt and want to hold on, although I’m much better than I was.  It lightens the load to let go.

What are your top 3?

Love, Joanne

JON C STINE

Wonderfully said, Joanne. Allow me to join the chorus on #2. Especially for this small-town Midwestern kid for whom Chicago was another world. I'm not sure I have a list of ten, but this is one I know for sure: the words I most need to hear are the words I least want to hear.

5 months ago · Reply
    Kevin Woo

I Know For Sure the other 9 keep changing, but Love trumps them all.

5 months ago · Reply
    Monica Turner

This one is a good read too! Not sure I can follow this without a bit of thinking and intuition.

5 months ago · Reply
      Joanne Bethlahmy

Did you see that the UK is likely to impose a 14 day quarantine on visitors from other countries? 😢

5 months ago · Reply
    Julie Danis

I know that I value the kind of friend and person that Kelly is to you. I know that I want a super creative exercise book, everyone needs something like than in a quarantine! I know that I would like to tune into my intuition and I'm delighted to know someone who is a certified clairvoyant (please pass on program details and intuitive guides/psychics contact information, seriously. I know, for sure, you have added to the quality of my life!

5 months ago · Reply
    Kelly Wilson

I love that you referenced that funny book. So what do I know for sure? I know that I feel most alive when I am being creative. It is like, yeah, this is how I am supposed to be, this is what feels right. And yet, I am one of those people that favors as you call it, the "corporate" side, because it represents for me stability and safety. So drawing a parallel... if for you the yin and yang are intuition and analysis, I guess mine are being boring and being creative. It sounds way better your way!

5 months ago · Reply
    John Fleming

I think I have lived all three of your observations and agree in spades. We were raised in a bubble of entitlement. We were in the upper middle class and wanted for nothing. I am grateful that my father became a physically abusive drunk and I left out on my own. I am grateful that I came to love poor families as my own. I am grateful that I dug ditches and learned the value of hard work. I am grateful that I started businesses that employed minimum wage workers who became my friends and family. I am sorry that my parents died when I was only 30 years old, but it made me a better person. Life changes us all in various ways. Joanne, you life has clearly changed in ways different than mine, but it has given you new insights. God has reason that are beyond our ability to understand. Give us serenity to accept his wishes and hope to see each other soon.

5 months ago · Reply
    John Fleming

I re-read my comments, Joanne, and realized I did not exactly address your question. I am only sure of two things. 1. If it doesn't kill you, it will make you better 2. If you ever think you know something for sure, you're probably wrong. That's my answer my good friend.

5 months ago · Reply